Topics

moderated Slate-colored Junco, White-throated Sparrow, Calero Creek trail

janna pauser

I've been back to the Calero Creek trail off Harry Road twice since I found a female SLATE COLORED JUNCO on Jan. 4. I saw it well enough to id but wanted a photo. It was overall gray with a white belly and small patch of pinkish/brown on the flanks. I've found this junco subspecies here in past years. As a consolation, a tan striped WHITE THROATED SPARROW was seen not far from Harry Road. It was feeding with a few GOLDEN CROWNED SPARROWS but no sign of the junco flock.

A RED TAILED HAWK pair was circling over the orchard, one carrying nest material. An ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD was constructing her nest with the base finished and a HUTTON'S VIREO was singing, the first I've heard this year.

Janna Pauser
San Jose