Topics

moderated Shoreline and A1: Geese and Wigeon

Matthew Dodder

Cricket and I spent a windy, drizzly morning at Shoreline today. The entrance road was productive with 3 SNOW GEESE, and 5 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE on the grassy field and golf course. There were scads of CANADA GEESE as well, but no Cackling among them.

At Shoreline Lake we re-found the female BARROW’S GOLDENEYE, and 2 BROWN PELICAN sitting close to shore. Several dozen BONAPARTE’S GULLS were foraging beside AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS.

On Salt Pond A1 we scanned the huge number of Ducks on the north end and finally spotted a male EURASIAN WIGEON. There were a few REDHEAD mixed in with the large numbers of mostly LESSER SCAUP and CANVASBACK.

BIRDING CLASSES: Palo Adult School winter class registration has begun! There are three birding classes offered: https://paadultschool.org/class/birding-nature/

Matthew Dodder

Matthew Dodder
Executive Director