Topics

S.C. Co. Bird List - October 2007

Kendrick Smith

Bill Bousman writes:

The composite list increased to 282 for October, a good increase. Normally, we see an increase of about 4 species in October, but this year we had 8, most of them 6s.

Of the 5s, 3 ELEGANT TERNS were seen on Pond A3E on 7 Oct, and birds were seen a couple of more times during the month along the Bay. A juvenile HEERMAN'S GULL was found on Pond A16 in Alviso on 10 Oct, and remained a few days. At the end of the month, a female WHITE-WINGED SCOTER was seen at Shoreline Lake on 27 Oct. Two females were seen there the next day, and at least one bird has remained into November.

Of the 6s, 10 SANDHILL CRANES touched down in the New Chicago Marsh briefly on 7 Oct, but their visit was recorded digitally. The same day, a LAPLAND LONGSPUR was found on the Alviso Slough Trail, at the edge of Coyote Slough. Later in the month a second bird was found at the Sunnyvale WPCP, doubly unusual. An immature TENNESSEE WARBLER was seen in Sunnyvale Baylands Park on 11 Oct, and was recorded again over the next few days. A RED-THROATED PIPIT was found along Bloomfield Road south of Gilroy on 21 Oct, only the 3rd county record. Wrapping up the 6s was a male HOODED WARBLER banded at CCFS on 27 Oct.

Normally, in November, we expect only 3 new species, but we are at that point or beyond by mid-month, so November looks like a fruitful month as well. Stay tuned.

The complete list can be found at:
South Bay Birders Unlimited (SBBU)
http://www.stanford.edu/~kendric/birds/
--