Topics

Mergansers

Justanteek@...

Good afternoon all...

I started out at Vasona to check on the great blue heron colony (just checking to see the condition for this coming nesting season)....while there a magnificent dark phase RED -TAILED HAWK flew into one of the tops of the trees. This red-tail was complete chocolate brown except for it's bright orange/red tail....and yellow cere...what an unbelievable bird. He was mobbed by the CROWS instantly....

At Vasona, 3 pairs of COMMON MERGANSERS were at treat, lots of SNOWY and GREAT Egrets.....of course COOTS, PIED BILLED and CORMORANTS.

From there I decided to check out Oka Ponds.... I entered through the Oka Ponds side and noticed how low the water is in the ponds and in the canals.  At the main pond, HOODED MERGANSERS, SCAUP, RUDDY DUCKS, BUFFLEHEAD, PIED BILLED GREBES, COOTS, MALLARDS and a couple of Great Egrets.

I crossed the bridge to check the first pond on my left....lots of scaup, AMERICAN WIDGEON, ruddy ducks, scaup,GADWALLS,  GREAT BLUE HERON,.....I walked down to Snipe Island....no snipe....but lots mallards, gadwalls, coots, a couple of snowy egrets....three more female hooded mergansers.....

All the way I had, BUSHTITS, CA TOWHEE, GOLD-CROWNED SPARROWS and plenty of ANNA's displaying..... I counted 88 Cormorants on the line at the first Campbell Pond...and four ROCK DOVES on the other side!

Along the Dell Avenue filtering ponds, there were lots of BUFFLEHEAD, CANADA GEESE (ONE CACKLING GOOSE) and two RING-BILLED GULLS....

Wishing you all good birding and my best regards,
Linda Sullivan
It was great to be back at Oka....lots of changes in ponds....hope they stop ripping out all the cattails and cutting down old trees....