Topics

John Nicholas Trail

Bob Reiling

All,
Birding was extremely slow this morning along Sanborn County Park's John Nicholas Trail, from Black Road.to the Ranch Reservoir. However, best birds included two RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH on the Southern edge of reservoir (8:05 AM), shortly after 10 AM three RED-CROSSBILLS flew from the Northwestern to the Northeastern side of the Reservoir to where there are a large number of cone bearing trees (no "kip" calls heard), on my way back to the car a PILEATED WOODPECKER did a long call roughly North of my position (in the general direction of the Reservoir).  Only one RING-NECKED DUCK (a male). two GADWALL, two DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS and a half dozen AMERICAN COOTS were in the Reservoir and only one BAND-TAILED PIGEON was seen (atop a tall pine tree).
Take care,
Bob Reiling