Topics

moderated Geeses

William Pelletier

Folks,

One of the fun things about the holidays, at least for me, is to search around for different kinds of geese.

Yesterday morning Kitty and I got CACKLING GOOSE as a first ever yard bird, when a large V of birds numbering about 65 flew over the house. Just wow! eBird checklist with Cackling Goose audio at: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61958126

Tonight on my way home from work I decided to check out some of the east side geese spots. I found a ball field at Alum Rock Middle School with about 200 CANADA GOOSE. Right in the middle of the flock, I noticed 4 SNOW GOOSE, 3 immature and 1 adult. I managed some decent pictures considering it was cloudy and very low light at that late hour. eBird checklist with photos at: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61988820

I still need a Ross's Goose for my county year list and less than 27 days to get it!

Enjoy,
Bill

William Pelletier

I am so glad I managed to get that recording! Mike Rogers just emailed saying he thought the geese sound more like GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE which is more expected of a large flock of 65. We've updated our list with a smile and nod of thanks to Mike.
Fun!
Bill P