Topics

ebird article on Irruptive Boreal species -- looking good this year

Kris Olson

Thought you might be interested in this article. I also noticed that in
Washington, in an area in central WA that I birded last year in Jan, there
have already been reports of 2 species that were not there - Hoary Redpolls
and White-winged Crossbills. eBird reports more sightings of Red-breasted
Nuthatches, etc. So this may be a good year for us - Pine Siskins. What
else?

Kris Olson, Menlo Park

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/Irruption2007Nov.html

"Although wintry weather is just barely upon us, birders in northern border
states from Minnesota to Maine are already enjoying one of the occasional
joys of winter birding--an influx of boreal irruptive species like Bohemian
Waxwing, Pine Grosbeak, Evening Grosbeak, and Common Redpoll. In New York
alone, both Pine Grosbeak and Common Redpoll, usually the two latest species
to appear during an irruption year, were reported before the end of October,
and Bohemian Waxwing was seen on a record early date."