Topics

Calero, Coyote Valley, pic

tgrey41

I went by Calero this morning, 11/17/2007, and saw only a couple of
TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS in the flock. My main hope was to get close enough
to get good pictures of this elusive species, but no luck -- lots of RWs,
plenty of Brewer's, very skittish flock as I tried to get close in my car.
I crossed the road and asked the people running the stable if I could
drive around there with my big lens; they were very nice and said fine,
and plenty of RWs and Brewer's there too, no trikes. I saw one COMMON
MERGANSER in Calero Reservoir, didn't see any loons, but didn't look hard
as I was focused on the blackbirds photo op.

On to Coyote Valley with special hopes for Ferruginous or Prairie Falcon
(I have no pictures of either.) Struck out on both despite cruising
Bailey, Santa Teresa, and the side roads for a couple of hours. I did see
and photograph one OSPREY on Laguna, and saw one MERLIN. Several each of
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE, SAY'S PHOEBE, and a single RED-SHOULDERED HAWK along
with numerous Redtails, Kestrels, and Kites.

Osprey photo at http://www.pbase.com/tgrey/latest .

Tom Grey
http://www.geocities.com/tgrey41
http://www.pbase.com/tgrey