moderated Palo Alto WQCP (Palm Warbler)

Bill Bousman

Folks:

This morning, 1/6/20, I visited the southern side of the Palo Alto WQCP.  The wintering PALM WARBLER was very active in the medium-sized eucaplypts not far from the gravel road, most of the time about 10-20 m from the planted area with its mulch.  As with many of the yellow-rumps in the area, it has been feeding on nectar of the eucalypts.  It has lost some of the feathers adjacent to its bill.  Others on the crown are black and matted.  The damage makes the bill look especially long (but only because in normal situations, those lost feathers cover the base of the bill and provide what we infer as its length).

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

Join southbaybirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.