moderated Sanborn County Park and continuing Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Eve Meier

Hi Everyone,

This morning I rode my bike down the John Nicholas trail to Lake Ranch Reservoir.  I made a couple of 5 minute birding stops on the way down and was able to find 3 VARIED THRUSH high in a Madrone, I heard many RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, and spotted a couple of TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS.  Once at the lake, I took my time birding hoping to see the Red Crossbills (nope).  I did find one WILSON'S SNIPE at the water's edge.  Also there's was a very noisy HOUSE WREN near the picnic tables, and several PURPLE FINCHES and FOX SPARROWS. I also heard one PYGMY NUTHATCH.  On my return ride up the hill I refound the small flock of VARIED THRUSHES counting 5 this time.  And, there were more VARIED THRUSHES that I couldn't see but could hear in the Madrone across the road from the parking area.  I stopped at 3 other locations along Skyline Blvd but no Crossbills for me today.  My consolation prize was visiting the SCVWD to see the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER spotted by Janna Pauser.

Happy Birding
Eve Meier (San Jose)

Join southbaybirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.