moderated Re: eBird species by year

Aaron Maizlish

Speaking as the #99th place birder in Santa Clara County in 2019, it is also possible that there are a lot more out-of-area birders using eBird for visits to Santa Clara than there were 5 years ago.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco

On Jan 3, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao@...> wrote:

Bill

  Interesting! Trying to infer from the chart, one thing that I see happening here is also an asymptote starting to show at the #1 level. That is to say that if anyone is “competing” for this spot, it will be harder and harder to do so now with the difference between 1 and 2 being very slight. The 1,5 and 10 lines are also getting closer together.

   The other thing that I wonder about is how the 50 spot and 100 spot lines are so parallel in their slope year after year. Does this mean that the new birders coming in over the last few years have been largely beginners, or newer birders. Or at least time in the field per year is similar in these new birders as previous? That is to say if a gang of really intense and active new birders would have been the new ones, I expect the 50 and 100 lines to diverge. Maybe I am inferring that incorrectly.

  Love this stuff, a picture into an aspect of our birding community.

Thank you,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...