moderated Re: eBird species by year

Aaron Maizlish

Speaking as the #99th place birder in Santa Clara County in 2019, it is also possible that there are a lot more out-of-area birders using eBird for visits to Santa Clara than there were 5 years ago. 

Aaron Maizlish 
San Francisco 

On Jan 3, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao@...> wrote:

Bill

Interesting! Trying to infer from the chart, one thing that I see happening here is also an asymptote starting to show at the #1 level. That is to say that if anyone is “competing” for this spot, it will be harder and harder to do so now with the difference between 1 and 2 being very slight. The 1,5 and 10 lines are also getting closer together.

The other thing that I wonder about is how the 50 spot and 100 spot lines are so parallel in their slope year after year. Does this mean that the new birders coming in over the last few years have been largely beginners, or newer birders. Or at least time in the field per year is similar in these new birders as previous? That is to say if a gang of really intense and active new birders would have been the new ones, I expect the 50 and 100 lines to diverge. Maybe I am inferring that incorrectly.

Love this stuff, a picture into an aspect of our birding community.

Thank you,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

From: southbaybirds@groups.io <southbaybirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of William Pelletier via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, January 2, 2020 11:16 PM
To: South Bay Birds <southbaybirds@groups.io>
Cc: southbaybirds@groups.io
Subject: [southbaybirds] eBird species by year

Folks,

Each year I like to make a chart that shows how many species it takes to be #1 (or #100) on eBird for Santa Clara county. This year it took 127 birds to make the list at #100, which is a huge step up from last year. You can see that the popularity of eBird is increasing and the number of species that it takes to be at any given spot on the list is increasing consistently year over year.

<image001.png>

The numbers show an increasing number of species at every level.

Keep up the great work and make it your new year's challenge to submit more lists!

Happy new year,

Bill P

Join southbaybirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.