moderated Another Crossbill Report - Sunnyvale Mtn Trailhead (Sanborn County Pk) - Mon 11-Nov

Brooke Miller

Late this morning I birded around the Sunnyvale Mountain Trailhead (on Skyline Blvd.). There were RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES everywhere!  I’d say there were at least 15, if not more.  Other winter birds of note included 1 VARIED THRUSH, 2 PINE SISKINS, and 4 TOWNSEND’S WARBLERS.  I had gone here in hopes of finding Red Crossbills, and it took 1-1/2 hours, but my patience paid off!  I was on the trail on the hill just SE of the parking lot when a bunch of birds flew into the trees between the trail and Skyline Blvd.  There was one “kip-kip”, then silence then a few more.   I could tell that the RED CROSSBILL was at the top of the tree, and I may not see it, so I started recording the vocalization.  Also in this group were 3 TOWNSEND’S WARBLERS, a HUTTON’S VIREO, several RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, Chestnut-backed Chickadee, 2 OAK TITMICE, and a bunch of RBNU.

Link to my eBird checklist with the vocalization:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S61372629

Brooke Miller
San Jose

Join southbaybirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.