moderated Los Capitancillos ponds 10/10 - Peregrine Falcon, Merlin

Marion Farber

I checked out the Los Cap ponds west of Meridian this evening.  In a leafless tree on the levee between the first and second ponds was a handsome PEREGRINE FALCON.  He started to make some annoyed "kaks" and flew off.  The first pond had a few RING-NECKED DUCKS, a couple of AMERICAN WIGEONS, and a bunch of Ruddy Ducks amongst the gobs of Mallards, Coots, and Gadwalls.  I saw a group of 9 Pied-billed Grebes all swimming along together.  There were a few more Wigeons in the third pond.  At the last pond to the west with water, in a tall tree on the north edge, I watched a MERLIN (my FOS) tear apart a large dragonfly.  On the way back, I saw a group of at least 75 crows all flying the same direction, to some crow party somewhere to the north.  I also checked the first pond to the east of Meridian, which had a bunch more Ring-necked ducks, but I didn't find anything else of interest, except a beautiful Red-shouldered Hawk that zoomed in and perched in a tree right next to me!

Join southbaybirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.