Topics

XSokoban level 77

Carlos

Hello, I want to share a little find about level 77 of the collection XSokoban.
I read about this level in the DrFoghs blog:

Where the conclusion is that in the MacSokoban software the level was modified.

But today investigating about this, I found a clarification:
The level that appeared in the MacSokoban was a prior version of the last version.
Here you can get the version that was included in the XSokoban 3.0 (date: 1993-dec-18)
if you search for the text: screen.77
you get:
  echo shar: Extracting \"'xsokoban-3.0/screens/screen.77'\" \(182 characters\)
  sed "s/^X//" >'xsokoban-3.0/screens/screen.77' <<'END_OF_FILE'
X######  #####
X#    #  #   #
X# $  #### $ #
X# $      $  #
X#  ###@###$ #
X########## ###
X#..   ##     #
X#..   ##$    #
X#..   ## $   #
X#..   ## $   #
X#..     $ $  #
X###  #########
X  ####
END_OF_FILE

And in the version 3.3c of XSokoban that is the last published version (file screen.77 date: 1994-jun-08) you found:
####################
#    ##   #    #   #
#  $  $     ## $   #
## #####  .###### ##
 # ##  ##....#### ##
## ##$ ###..##     #
#      #... .# $ $ #
# $ ## ## . ### ####
# # $    #.## # #
# $ $ #   .#### ##
# #  ## # ##  #  ##
#######  $##$   $ #
      ##      $ #@#
       #  ## ######
       #######

Thus the both versions belongs originally to XSokoban, one in version 3.0 or prior, and the other in the version 3.3c.

Carlos

Wayne Campbell

The 40 puzzles, numbered 51 - 90, are not part of the original puzzles. they were extra puzzles that were added to the original file that has circulated around the internet for years. The XSokoban version contained each of the 50 puzzles from the original set, based on the MS-DOS variant, in separate files call screen files. The other 40 are not part of the original set, and should not be included as part of the original set. Since those were taken from various different sets of puzzles that were floating around at the time, I'm fairly certain that most of them were modified from their original design.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 2:33 PM Carlos <cmontiers@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes Wayne, what you said is correct.
But although that puzzles 51-90 are not considered part of the original collection and are known as "Xsokoban Extra".
In those puzzles, 51-90, was identified two versions of the level 77. But is not an issue of one is the official and the other is a modification.
My find is that both levels were part of Xsokoban in different versions of the software, the more simple version found in the MacSokoban software is present in an early version 3.0 and the hardest version is present in the version 3.3c

Wayne Campbell

I did run into that. In fact, it was Brian Damgaard that told me about it. I have copies of both level 77. I believe that one of them was originally included with XSokoban, and was replaced later with the second one. I'm not sure which one came first.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 8:45 PM Carlos <cmontiers@...> wrote:
Yes Wayne, what you said is correct.
But although that puzzles 51-90 are not considered part of the original collection and are known as "Xsokoban Extra".
In those puzzles, 51-90, was identified two versions of the level 77. But is not an issue of one is the official and the other is a modification.
My find is that both levels were part of Xsokoban in different versions of the software, the more simple version found in the MacSokoban software is present in an early version 3.0 and the hardest version is present in the version 3.3c

Tyge Fogh

Great information. I will ad a correction to my article at sokoban.dk
And please: Don't link to web.archive.org when you can link directly to the original page still live on a working website. Sokoban.dk is not dead yet and will probably not be in a near future.
Regards
DrFogh

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Tyge Fogh wrote:
And please: Don't link to web.archive.org when you can link directly to the original page still live on a working website. Sokoban.dk is not dead yet and will probably not be in a near future.
Hello DrFogh, I love your Sokoban.dk site.
Yes, in this case, I use the archived URL to have a concordance of what I was referring to.

Sincerely, Carlos.