The Society for Medical Anthropology is delighted to celebrate the 2022 award winners who were announced November 11, 2022 at the SMA awards ceremony in Seattle! Our heartfelt congratulations to all awardees whose work demonstrates the vibrancy and urgent importance of medical anthropology scholarship in today’s world.
Winner of the 2022 Eileen Basker Memorial Prize
· Siri Suh: Dying to Count: Post-Abortion Care and Global Reproductive Health Politics in Senegal (Rutgers University Press)
2022 Eileen Basker Memorial Prize Honorable Mention
· Elyse Ona Singer: Lawful Sins: Abortion Rights and Reproductive Governance in Mexico (Stanford University Press)
Winner of the 2022 Leah M. Ashe prize for the anthropology of medically-induced harm
· Lesley A. Sharp: "Death and Dying in Carceral America: The Prison Hospice as an Inverted Space of Exception" (Medical Anthropology Quarterly)
2022 Leah M. Ashe prize Honorable Mentions
· Kristensen, Benedikte Møller, Brodersen, John Brandt and Alexandra Brandt Ryborg Jønsson. “The Tyranny of Numbers: How e-Health Record Transparency Affects Patients’ Health Perceptions and Conversations with Physicians," MAT, 2022.
· Smith-Oka, Vania. Becoming Gods: Medical Training in Mexican Hospitals. Rutgers University Press, 2021
· Strong, Adrienne. Documenting Death: Maternal Mortality and the Ethics of Care in Tanzania. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2020.
Winner of the 2022 Steven Polgar Paper Prize
2022 Steven Polgar Paper Prize Honorable Mentions
· Martine Lappé and Robbin Jeffries Hein's "You Are What Your Mother Endured: Intergenerational Epigenetics, Early Caregiving, and the Temporal Embedding of Adversity"
Winner of the 2022 Charles Hughes Graduate Student Paper Prize
· Jessica Cerdeña, Yale University. “The Prenatal Care Color Line and Latina Motherhood as Race-Making”
Carole H. Browner Mentorship Awards:
· Denielle Elliott, Associate Professor of Health and Society at York University
· Merav Shohet, Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Boston University
Anthropology and Mental Health (AMH)
Graduate Student Paper Prize
· Sanja Pesich: “Mental Health Advocacy: Emic Perspectives of Families Living with a Mental Illness"
Anthropological Responses in Health Emergencies (ARHE)
Policy Brief Award
· Alyssa Basmajian
· Megan Schmidt-Sane
· CommuniVax (Emily K Brunson and Monica Schoch-Spana)
Critical Anthropology of Global Health (CAGH)
· Xisai Song: “A Rich People’s Disease’: Rural Migrant Workers and Structural Debilitation in China”
· Anamika Shrimali: “Witnessing the Theatre of Self-Harm among South Asian Women: Expression, Performance, and Hot Tea”
· Rachel Chapman: “Therapeutic Borderlands: Austerity, Maternal HIV Treatment, and the Elusive End of AIDS in Mozambique”
· Jessica Hardin, PhD, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, Rochester Institute of Technology, “Life Before Vegetables: Nutrition, Cash, and Subjunctive Health in Samoa”
Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco (ADT)
Contingent Faculty Award
· Ellen Kozelka, Dartmouth College