Re: Open Letter to APHA, re: Leana Wen [EXTERNAL]

Elisa Sobo

Thank you so much Katherine for sending this link - FYI, no firewall on my end. The op ed is short (in other words, people, it will take you only two minutes to read) and it provides good food for thought, as does your encouragement to "think about what it means [and I'll add: takes] to foster discussion." Inviting conversation doesn't always work, but still, I am reminded of Loretta Ross's position on calling in vs calling out (e.g., https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/17/opinion/sunday/cancel-culture-call-out.html, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/17/opinion/sunday/cancel-culture-call-out.html. Best, EJ.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 5:17 AM Katherine Peeler via groups.io <katherine.peeler=childrens.harvard.edu@groups.io> wrote:

Dear All,

This is my first time writing in this forum. I am not writing to encourage anyone to sign, or not sign, the letter referenced below. Each person should make their own informed choice.

But I do want to encourage all of us to think about what it means to foster dialogue rather than cancellation. An op-ed about the letter below came out in yesterday's Boston Globe (I apologize if there is a firewall - I think maybe everyone is allowed a couple of free article a month?): https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/18/opinion/an-absurd-disturbing-cancel-campaign-public-health/

Sincerely,
Katie

Katherine Ratzan Peeler MD, MA

Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion | ​Division of Medical Critical Care | Boston Children’s Hospital

Medical Director | Harvard Student Human Rights Collaborative Asylum Clinic

Department of Global Health and Social Medicine | Harvard Medical School

Center for Bioethics | Harvard Medical School

@katiehale29 | https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/peelerimmigrationlab