RREAL online courses on rapid qualitative research - last places remain!

c.vindrola@...

Throughout Autumn, RREAL are offering nine online courses. The courses are available to book now using this link. If you are interested in attending, please book early as courses do sell out quickly.

The Autumn Courses on offer are:

Introduction Courses

01 October 2021, 10:00-14:00 Introduction to rapid qualitative research FULL (waiting list available)

An introduction to the range of approaches used in rapid qualitative research including rapid appraisals, rapid ethnographic assessments (REAs), rapid qualitative inquiry (RQI), rapid evaluations and rapid ethnographies. Course participants will work with real research cases and design their own rapid study. Additional resources will also be provided at the end of the course. Delivered by Dr Cecilia Vindrola.

 08 October 2021, 10:00-14:00 Introduction to rapid evaluation FULL (waiting list available)

This course provides an introduction to a wide range of approaches used in the design and implementation of rapid qualitative evaluations. It provides an overview of rapid evaluation approaches, including rapid evaluation methods (REM), rapid feedback evaluations (RFE), rapid cycle evaluations (RCE) and rapid appraisals (RA). It also discusses the contributions and limitations of rapid evaluations, identifying instances when these approaches are suitable. Additional resources will also be provided at the end of the course. Delivered by Dr Cecilia Vindrola.

15 October 2021, 10:00-14:00 Introduction to rapid ethnography 3 places remain

This course provides an introduction to a wide range of approaches used in rapid research with a focus on rapid ethnography. The course provides an overview of rapid ethnographies conducted as a “lone researcher” or as part of a team and includes examples of quick, short-term, focused and rapid ethnographies. Additional resources will also be provided at the end of the course. Delivered by Dr Cecilia Vindrola.

ADVANCED COURSES

22 October 2021, 11:00 – 14:00 Team dynamics in rapid qualitative research - *New for Autumn 2021*

Many rapid qualitative research approaches rely on the use of teams of researchers to facilitate data collection and analysis. This course aims to explore the benefits and challenges of team-based rapid qualitative research as well as tools that have been developed to collect and analyse data as a team. Participants will also learn about techniques to train researchers, team-building activities and a model for team-based reflexivity developed by RREAL. Delivered by Dr Cecilia Vindrola.

29 October 2021, 15:00-18:00 Big Social Data and data visualisation in rapid response and applied health research *New for autumn 2021*

Social media has risen in popularity as a source of free public data. This session will explore the potential of using social media as data in applied health research. The course includes an overview of free online tools that can be used to easily collect and visualise data from social media, including examples from recent research projects carried out during the pandemic. Participants will break into small groups to discuss possibilities for adapting or designing remote research that uses social media data. The course is delivered by Dr Sam Martin (University of Oxford).

05 November 2021, 14:00-17:00 Scoping studies in rapid qualitative research 3 places remain

Rapid qualitative studies often require an initial period of data collection or review of existing evidence to inform the study design and its scope. This initial period is commonly referred to as a “scoping study”. In this short course, we will briefly describe the benefits and key features of scoping studies carried out in the context of rapid research. We will discuss different types of scoping activities such as: rapid literature reviews or evidence syntheses, informal conversations with stakeholders, observations, documentary analysis and scoping workshops. We will use real world examples to demonstrate how these scoping activities can be used to inform the research questions, scope and dissemination plan of the study. We will also show examples of how we have used scoping studies to codesign rapid qualitative research with stakeholders. This course is suggested for participants with previous rapid qualitative research experience or those who have already attended our introductory courses.

12 November 2021 11:00-14:00 Advanced rapid qualitative data analysis FULL (waiting list available)

This course covers techniques used to rapidly analyse qualitative data. We begin with a brief overview of the iterative nature of rapid qualitative research and the analysis of data as data collection is ongoing. We also discuss strategies that are commonly used to bypass or speed up transcription and the adaptation of data analysis methods for rapid study timeframes (i.e. rapid content analysis, table-based methods, text network analysis). This course is suggested for participants with previous rapid qualitative research experience or those who have already attended our introductory courses.

19 November 2021 11:00-14:00 Process/pathway mapping in rapid qualitative research 4 places remain

This course introduces participants to an approach for process/pathway mapping that we have tailored to the time and funding constraints of rapid qualitative research. This approach combines collaborative team meetings with rapid data collection and analysis (mainly in the form of interviews and observations) to map processes used in organisations or the stages involved in clinical pathways. We will use examples from our own research to describe each step of the mapping process. Participants will also have time to reflect on how to adapt this approach to their own studies. This course is suggested for participants with previous rapid qualitative research experience or those who have already attended our introductory courses.

01 December 2021, 10:00 – 14:00 Rapid qualitative research during humanitarian emergencies - *New for Autumn 2021*

This course aims to provide attendees with the skills required to implement rapid qualitative research approaches in the context of health emergencies managed within the humanitarian system. Participants will learn to apply and adapt rapid qualitative methods through deeper understanding of the global UN/INGO system for managing emergencies, critical appraisal of the collection and use of findings to inform response operations, and contemporary case studies. Use of personal topics of interest is encouraged. Preparatory reading is required. Delivered by Dr Ginger A. Johnson.

For additional information on the courses, including course objectives and content outline, please email Sarah Hayden (s.hayden@...) or visit the RREAL website: https://www.rapidresearchandevaluation.com/

Join society-for-medical-anthropology@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.