Seeking new Co-Chair for CAM/IM SIG

Laura Meek

Dear colleagues and friends,

The Complementary and Alternative Medicine / Integrative Medicine (CAM/IM) Special Interest Group of the Society for Medical Anthropology is seeking a new co-chair to come onboard after the November AAA meeting. Current co-chair Jane Saffitz will stay on and be able to help train my replacement after I (Laura Meek) step down.

This position is open to anthropologists from all sub-fields, including practicing and applied, as well as early career scholars (including ABD PhD students). The role requires very little work most months, but with more responsibilities around the time of the AAA meeting. Major duties include:

  • Holding the CAM/IM SIG Business Meeting during the AAA
  • Participating in occasional meetings with the SMA Executive Board and/or other SIGs
  • Preparing a short Annual Report on SIG membership, activities, and budget
  • Co-chairing the CAM/IM graduate student paper prize committee
  • Sharing announcements and information via the CAM/IM listserv, Facebook page, and website
  • And any other initiatives you and the membership would like to develop!

Potential candidates should send a paragraph expressing their interest to current co-chairs Laura Meek (lameek@...) and Jane Saffitz (saffitzj@...) by October 15

Please also feel free to reach out to us with any questions about the position. Since coming on as co-chair (when I was a PhD candidate), I have found it to be a great way to get more involved in SMA, to meet colleagues and learn about their work, and to gain valuable leadership experience. I would be happy to chat with anyone who is interested in the position!

For SIG members, we will set up an online poll for voting on the incoming co-chair the week before the AAA meeting. We then hope to announce the election results during the CAM/IM Business Meeting, to be held via Zoom on Thursday, November 4th at 8pm EST.

Best wishes,

Laura

Laura A. Meek, PhD (she/they)
Assistant Professor
Centre for the Humanities and Medicine
906 Run Run Shaw Tower, Centennial Campus
The University of Hong Kong
e: lameek@...  |  t: (852) 3917 7937

Series Co-Editor, Contested Truths over COVID-19 in Africa, Somatosphere

Join society-for-medical-anthropology@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.