[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 2

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:14:52 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: socialpsy-teach@...
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 2

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 17, No. 2

October 27, 2017

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Subscriber David Sirlopu wrote:  "I'm teaching social psychology for undergraduate
students, and this semester I would like to make some changes in my teaching
methodologies."   He is interested material about developing problem-based learning
activities related to the topic of prejudice and stereotypes.  If you have any ideas or
know of any such material could you please send it to David at drsirlopu@....
  Thanks.

I have a request as well.  When you get the chance, I would love to hear about a
resource you learned about from an issue of this newsletter and how you used it in a
course.   Thanks.

Also, congratulations to subscribers Thomas Holtgraves, Winnifred Louis, Rowland
Miller, Michael Olson, and Rolf Reber for becoming SPSP Fellows!  (I apologize if I
have left any subscribers off this list.)  I also notice the new Fellows are all
long-time subscribers to the Newsletter.  Just saying.

Activities and Exercises

          Attraction & Relationships: Sexual conflict in human mating

          https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in
-psychological-science-41#mating

          Some suggested activities to accompany a Current Directions article

          Conformity:  Some "Who's" and "Why's" of Conformity

          http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0078035295/student_view0/online_learni
ng_center0/chapter6/interactivities.html

          An online interactive exercise

          Psychology in the Courtroom:  Mock jury scenario

          http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0078035295/student_view0/online_learni
ng_center0/chapter16/scenarios.html#

          An online interactive scenario

          The Self: Measuring materialism and happiness

          http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0078035295/student_view0/online_learni
ng_center0/chapter16/interactivities.html

          An online interactive survey

          The Self: Religious engagement and the good life

          https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in
-psychological-science-41#engagement

          Some suggested activities to accompany a Current Directions article

Articles

           General: "Single does testosterone administration impairs cognitive
reflection in men"

           https://authors.library.caltech.edu/77049/

           https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170428154556.htm

           The authors suggest this effect may play a role in testerone's effects on
many social behaviors.  The second link is to an article about the research.

           Persuasion: "Motivated reasoning and persuasion among politicians"

           http://pure.au.dk/portal/da/publications/the-role-of-evidence-in-politics-m
otivated-reasoning-and-persuasion-among-politicians(2112be68-5892-4d10-a1af-3e8e8fee43
69).html

           http://tinyurl.com/ycznbk6l

  "Politicians reject evidence that conflicts with their beliefs.  And if
you give them more evidence, they double down."  The second link is to an
article about the research.

Topic Resources

Aggression:  Sexual harassment and #metoo

http://www.everydaysociologyblog.com/2017/10/cats-dogs-and-metoo.html

The #metoo has been used to share stories of sexual harassment.  It is an
interesting recent phenomenon to emerge, like the # below on disabilities,
the worldwide sharing of common experiences.  I have read anecdotal
accounts of the costs and benefits of such sharing.   I wonder what the
research will tell us.  Have any of you done such research?

Aggression: "Sex, power, and the systems that enable men like Harvey
Weinstein"

https://hbr.org/2017/10/sex-power-and-the-systems-that-enable-men-like-harvey-weinstei

https://thinkprogress.org/why-harvey-weinstein-story-major-news-event-ee36ab5bf51b/

An essay by social psychologist Dacher Keltner -- the second link is to a
blog entry that discusses "why all of the Harvey Weinstein allegations
emerged now."

Aggression: Female sex workers less likely to be killed if they can
advertise online

https://thinkprogress.org/craigslist-erotic-services-platform-3eab46092717/

Aggression/Prejudice: "I was a racist cop"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/i-was-a-racist-cop_us_59ef6b76e4b0bf1f88362209?nc
id=inblnkushpmg00000009

A powerful essay from a retired police officer and forensic investigator

Attitudes & Behavior:  "Trump voters believe sex allegations against
Weinstein, but not against Trump"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-voters-weinstein-poll_us_59ea11c9e4b0f9d35b
ca3fd9?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Attitudes & Behavior/Persuasion:  "Politicians reject evidence that
conflicts with their beliefs...

         http://tinyurl.com/ycznbk6l

...and if you give them more evidence, they double down.

Attraction & Relationships:  How to make your face look younger

http://www.spring.org.uk/2017/10/facial-features-younger.php

Contrast!  Our brains love it.  How to make it look older?  Have kids.

Attraction & Relationships:  The most attractive facial feature on women...

http://www.spring.org.uk/2017/06/the-most-attractive-facial-feature-on-women.php

Besides contrast.  The lips!  According to this research they are a big
winner.  That's where our eyes go most.

Attraction & Relationships/The Self:  "Loneliness and self-centeredness
appear to be mutually reinforcing"

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/25/ten-year-study-finds-loneliness-and-self-centered
ness-appear-to-be-mutually-reinforcing/

Conflict & Peacemaking/Helping:  "Cooperation driven by reciprocity, not
conformity"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170911122639.htm

Conformity: When not letting others down can be used for good

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/16/find-a-gym-buddy-not-letting-them-down-may-be-the
-most-powerful-incentive-to-get-exercising/

Like getting yourself to the gym

Conformity/Prejudice:  "The psychology of taking a knee"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/the-psychology-of-taking-a-knee/

Interesting discussion around the recent protests in sports

Gender & Culture:  A popular sports website and misogyny

https://thinkprogress.org/barstool-sports-sexism-30cee73eccc4/

Misogyny has always been present in sports, sports reporting, and sports
analysis, but once again social media can help magnify its presence and
influence.

Gender & Culture/Prejudice:  "Saudi Arabia lifts ban on women driving"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/saudi-arabia-lifts-ban-on-women-driving_us_59caa4
85e4b0964242bbc7c3?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Helping:  Compassion

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/topics/compassion

APS has a number of good articles linking compassion with helping.

Helping: It's better to give AND receive

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170728111325.htm

Research finds "that gift recipients are happier with a present when the
giver got themselves the same present."

Methods:  New tools for increasing the power of studies

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/publications/observer/obsonline/new-tools-for-des
igning-powerful-studies.html

from psychological scientists Samantha F. Anderson, Ken Kelley, and Scott
E. Maxwell

Prejudice: "Thousands share their invisible disabilities on Twitter"

http://www.bbc.com/news/disability-41733769

Prejudice:  How white nationalism has entered the mainstream in the U.S.
and Austria

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-n
ationalism?utm_term=.aaP0dX54w6#.xrEApqnmPR

https://www.thedailybeast.com/europes-alt-right-takes-heart-as-austrias-vote-swings-it
s-way

The first link is to detailed analysis of the role of certain media sources
and individuals who were significant contributors to its rise in America.
 The second link is to an article about a far right party gaining power in
Austria.

Prejudice: My cereal is racist

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kelloggs-racist-corn-pops-boxes_us_59f1b5bae4b0af
27f589d5a0?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Prejudice: NAACP warns Blacks against traveling on American Airlines

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/naacp-travel-advisory-american-airlines_us_59f0bf
2fe4b03c73bf347869?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

The organizations warns that flying American could subject
African-Americans to "disrespectful, discriminatory or unsafe conditions."

Prejudice: Reverse stereotype threat in chess

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/19/reverse-stereotype-threat-women-play-chess-better
-than-expected-against-men/

"Women chess players perform better against men than against other women."

Prejudice:  "Move to Hawaii, become less racist"

https://psmag.com/social-justice/move-to-hawaii-and-become-less-racist

A naturally occurring "experiment" found that White college students became
less racist after nine months on the islands.

Social Judgment: "How brain activity can predict your vote on Brexit"

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/04/in-or-out-how-brain-activity-can-predict-your-vot
e-on-brexit/

Social Judgment:  Believers in conspiracies and the paranormal tend to...

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/17/believers-in-conspiracy-theories-and-the-paranorm
al-are-more-likely-to-see-illusory-patterns/

... see patterns which don't exist in everyday phenomenon such as coin
tosses, according to this research.

Social Judgment:  How many regular folk does it take to screw over an
expert?

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/23/we-know-intuitively-how-many-lay-opinions-outweig
h-an-expert/

Okay, that's not quite what this interesting research asked, but rather,
how many everyday opinions does it take to outweigh the word of an expert.
 How many of your students would have to disagree with you before the other
students believed them over you?  Yeah, probably a lot fewer than they
found in this study.

Social Judgment: "Do broader faces signal antisocial traits?  Maybe not."

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/publications/observer/obsonline/do-broader-faces-
signal-antisocial-traits-maybe-not-suggests-new-research.html

We last left our heroes (psychological scientists) explaining why another
of their long-standing and often cherished findings (see stereotype threat
above) may not always or actually be true.  This article suggests that
another such finding, that faces with broad width-to-height ratio may not
be correlated with greater aggression, perceived aggressiveness, or other
similar traits as previous research suggested.  That's the way science
works, folks.  But we might heed the above advice under Methods on
increasing the power of our studies.  I'm guessing broader-faced
researchers are likely most negligent in this regard.

Social Judgment: Richard Thaler wins Nobel Prize in Economics

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/09/business/nobel-economics-richard-thaler.html

for his work on how our behavior is often irrational, but predictably
irrational.

The Self:  "African farmers' kids conquer the marshmallow test"

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/african-farmers-kids-conquer-marshmallow-test

Apparently they are the first group of non-Western kids assessed on this
delay of gratification test, and the first of any group to have a majority
wait for the second treat.

Technology in Teaching

Video

         Gender & Culture:  Teaching gender-based analysis

         https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/gender-matters-teaching-gender-
based-analysis-in-psychology

         This article describes and links to videos that can be used to teach students
how "to assess how gender norms and assumptions enter and impact the research process."
 The project was funded through the APS Teaching and Public Understanding of

         Psychological Science grants program, generously founded by subscriber David
Myers.

         Social Judgment:  "How you really make decisions" (53:53)

         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ha34Vu1zZo#3m22s

         A long but very interesting review of research on decision making

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic
or issue in their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I
will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the
following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types
of resources you would like examples of? Particular topics you are
interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this
newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests,
suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me
(jfmueller@...) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

jfmueller@...

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2017.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for
non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it
useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology