Topics

New SoCal SOTAFest Event Page - Needs Review #sotafest

Mike Molina

Hi everyone,

The new SoCal SOTAFest event page is now live here. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions. There are still a few details to work out, but here are some of the main takeaways/changes:

  • Event will last all weekend instead of just Saturday to allow backpackers to activate at their leisure. Saturday will probably be our main activation day.
  • Added frequency list based on what the Colorado 14ers are doing. I'm hoping we don't stomp on any repeater output frequencies.
  • Banner will need to be updated based on dates, but I'm holding off on any banner changes until we've finalized all of the event details.
I've also reached out to the Colorado 14ers about coordinating events, since they'll be up there the same weekend we are. Goal is to get this all finalized before this weekend's out. Might fast-follow with a short press release for the event geared towards media and ham clubs.

- Mike (KN6EZE)

Christian N1CLC

Mike,

   What do you think about sending this over to Josh, at HamRadio Crash Course to give it a mention?  Do you have a domain we could use so that he could give it something shorter like (http://hamninja.com/socalsotafest which I created on my domain)
- - - - - -

. . .2
-- C  --
Chris Claborne
N1CLC
Dreams are just screensavers for the mind.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 6:23 PM Mike Molina <miguel.d.molina@...> wrote:
[...]

Jose Pantaleon

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that. How big are you trying to make this? I thought it was a SoCal SOTA event. Just a thought

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 17:38, Christian N1CLC <claborne@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Gacek (W6PNG/M0SNA)

I still think we should post details of the planned event at the https://w6-sota.org site.

Rex and Jamie have authoring rights.

Paul

Paul Gacek (W6PNG/M0SNA)

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 07:38 PM, Jose Pantaleon wrote:
I thought it was a SoCal SOTA event
It is, as is the PNWSota event focused PacNW activators and similarly the 14-ers on CO activators but given SOTA is inherently a global and inclusive program we welcome chasers from anywhere propagation permits.

That aside if non SoCal activators want to visit and activate here, they are more than welcome.

Anything we can do to promote awareness and ideally participation in SOTA is good.

Bernie's Daily DX is so starved for DXPedition details we might even want to consider letting him know.

Paul

Mike Molina

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sounds like everyone is on board with the event page (I'll take the silence from the rest of the group as a resounding "yes").

Yes, I would like to get this event as widely known as possible - the more chasers and more involvement the better! I've also purchased socalsota.com, which currently redirects to the event page. Re Ham Radio Crash Course and Daily DX, I'll post back here once the page and banner are finalized. Thanks everyone!