Topics

Yamaha generators to be used on Tillamook Rock, NA-211

Robin Amundson

K7TRI hopes to begin activation tomorrow from the Tillamook Lighthouse on Tillamook Rock. The lighthouse is one of the rarest and most sought-after in the world for radio activation. If they make it onto the rock and everything works out, they will be on the air September 6-9. It is very, very challenging successfully landing two helicopters on the rock, one with gear, the other with people. For a fascinating bit of history I recommend the several YouTube videos of the storied owners of the past, including its current private owner. Notice all the bird and seals and their droppings. Watch waves crashing over the lighthouse. Read about attempts to get onto the rock without helicopters. Not at all for weak hearts. Imaging camping with no doors or windows on hard, cold concrete, accessible by hundreds or thousands of birds and sea lions. Imagine the stench. All for the love of amateur radio...This one really brings the history and drama into the hobby. I plan to spend time working them. Just because they are close, won't make it necessarily easy.

And, the reason I thought to write about it is: YAMAHA GENERATORS!

Robin Amundson

Robin Amundson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBsiAQ8xus

Seriously, there are some crazy hams.

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

On Sep 6, 2019, at 10:18 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBsiAQ8xus

Seriously, there are some crazy hams.
_._,_._,_

I think ‘intrepid’ might be a better word than ‘crazy’.  But the folks headed to that rock are *seriously* intrepid.

It’s all well and good to say “Oh, helicopters are going to drop us onto the rock, no worries”.  But then you still need to get *off* the rock without dying, and that looks like a more, um, exciting proposition than getting on to my eye.  If you’re not on the rock and the weather turns foul, you just don’t go there.  If you’re on the rock and the weather turns foul, there’s no way to get off and you’re committed to riding out the bad weather, which does not look like it would be any fun at all.

-p

Robin Amundson