Topics

<tap> <tap> is this thing on? Hello APRS!

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Where is the APRS?

Yes, new thing to play with that does not work in my hole in the valley. HA! At least I'm consistent. So, I set a radio to APRS analog and left it connected to APRSDroid all day and got nothing. I _can_ reach a Cougar repeater which then bounces my packets to a digipeater on the peninsula? Yup, that seems strange. But I can only reach it like 1 out of 30 tries (manually sending my position).

Is there no digipeater in the valley? Do we want one?

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

There's two ways to go: a digipeter or an IGATE    An IGATE is actually one of my current projects.  Just ordered the TNC described in the article.  I'll probably make it receive-only with a Baofeng hooked up through a mutlicoupler to my scanner antenna.  But that would still allow nearby radios to get their packet info in the APRS mix.

https://wcares.org/special-interests-3/aprs/build-an-aprs-igate/

Shawn / K7ATA

its pretty easy to build a TNC for aprs with an arduino; I've done a few. Average cost was ~$15 as one-off prototypes.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 5/27/2019 3:12 AM, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

There's two ways to go: a digipeter or an IGATE    An IGATE is actually one of my current projects.  Just ordered the TNC described in the article.  I'll probably make it receive-only with a Baofeng hooked up through a mutlicoupler to my scanner antenna.  But that would still allow nearby radios to get their packet info in the APRS mix.

https://wcares.org/special-interests-3/aprs/build-an-aprs-igate/

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Nice!  I want to try that eventually in my "copious free time"; for now, it was easy enough for me to buy a premade one with battery, etc.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 03:50 AM, Shawn / K7ATA wrote:

its pretty easy to build a TNC for aprs with an arduino; I've done a few.
Average cost was ~$15 as one-off prototypes.
What design are you using? Most of the designs I see floating around are Pi based (which is fine too) but I've got an Arduino here doing nothing and no extra Pi so I'd rather use an Arduino design. Much appreciate the direction.

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Well, the TNC works great, the Baofeng (not surprisingly) not so much.  It's fairly deaf when hooked up to my antenna.  Looking into it, it seems it's easily overloaded.  Hooked up to the same antenna my Afedri SDR (I got the model with VHF/UHF as well as HF) pulls in quite a bit of APRS traffic.

I have an RTL-SDR and a $5 USB soundcard laying around.  Maybe I'll give that a shot.  The same PC can run the SDR software and pump the audio out the soundcard to the TNC.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

its pretty easy to build a TNC for aprs with an arduino; I've done a
few. Average cost was ~$15 as one-off prototypes.
--Shawn
Mr. Shawn Sir,
Can you please post the BOM and design you use for your Arduino TNC? I'd be interested in putting one of these together. Thank you.

Shawn / K7ATA

Simplicity itself; Simple schematic and protoboard view: https://imgur.com/a/dkUQ03J

NPN is a 2n2222 or equivalent, arduino requires a firmware flashed onto it with AVRdude

Firmware: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mobilinkd/tnc1/arduino/images/mobilinkd-473-arduino.hex

This is all based on the moblinkd design, and if you're a glutton for punishment, I have a BOM for SMT build and the boards can be had from oshpark: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/rY0zpRke (yes, everything fits UNDER an arduino nano)

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 6/24/2019 2:50 PM, Ryan - KJ7GIE wrote:
its pretty easy to build a TNC for aprs with an arduino; I've done a
few. Average cost was ~$15 as one-off prototypes.
--Shawn
Mr. Shawn Sir,
Can you please post the BOM and design you use for your Arduino TNC? I'd be interested in putting one of these together. Thank you.

Dan Pflugrath

Shawn,
Nice work. Simple is beautiful.

I am a bit slow at this but do you then hook up the Arduino to your computer app by the USB port? I am assuming you could use this to run WinLink.

Thanks
Dan KA7GPP

[...]

US MD: "I Beg Americans To Throw Out This Veg Now"
dr-pedre-md.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5d119e9463b8b1e935052st01duc

Shawn / K7ATA

Yes indeed, tied to the PC via USB, and it works perfectly with winlink.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 6/24/2019 9:09 PM, Dan Pflugrath wrote:
[...]

If I put everything together with my Arduino UNO, load the firmware and WinLink will you assist myself and anyone else to make sure it works. It looks easy but there are some issues to making it work like loading the hex file, getting WinLink loaded and making adjustments to the audio levels. Help me and I am willing to help other club members doing the same.

I see where the same group, mobilinkd, has set up their TNC to link to Android by Bluetooth which could be very useful in the future.

Thanks again,
Dan KA7GPP