From: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io> on behalf of Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:09 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: [snovarc] Echolink best practices?

Howdy,
I got Echolink functional on my machine this morning. As I have not been able to TX from my home to the repeater (work in progress, need hardware) I decided to play with Echolink. It works great. But I cannot find any best practices for actually using the Echolink server on the repeater.

- Can I just stay connected to it 24/7 or does that tie it up and prevent other uses?
- Are others using the Echolink server in this way? I know it is announced when someone connects to it but I've never heard anyone else connect.
- Anything else I should know?

Also.. Echolink is pretty darn neat. Since I can TX now I plan on actually checking into the net tomorrow. Talk to a few of you then.

Robin Amundson

Ryan,
Only one Echolink connection on the Cougar repeater. So, first in for tonight’s net will connect. My understanding is 30 minutes of connection with no activity is considered the polite limit to give others a chance.

Enjoy the net!

73,
Robin, WA7CPA

On May 16, 2019, at 5:39 PM, Mike Jacob <golferguy02@...> wrote:

Ryan,

Have you tried the Echolink app on your phone?

Super handy! 🙂

I got Echolink functional on my machine this morning. As I have not been able to TX from my home to the repeater (work in progress, need hardware) I decided to play with Echolink. It works great. But I cannot find any best practices for actually using the Echolink server on the repeater.

- Can I just stay connected to it 24/7 or does that tie it up and prevent other uses?
- Are others using the Echolink server in this way? I know it is announced when someone connects to it but I've never heard anyone else connect.
- Anything else I should know?

Also.. Echolink is pretty darn neat. Since I can TX now I plan on actually checking into the net tomorrow. Talk to a few of you then.

Ken Kosters

Welcome,

Some tips can be found on the group page on how the EchoIRLP works. I would suggest not hanging on the repeater if on EchoLink as we can only have two connections at a time. One more thing to note is if EchoLink or IRLP are connected the system is tied up for that particular operation. Example if EchoLink is in use IRLP cannot connect and opposite is true also. We do have IRLP connected to KBARA every morning but KBARA does have Echo connection that can be used during the net, I think it is KB7ARA-R?

Ken W7ECK