Topics

Do not lick your Baofeng antenna connector (humor)

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Daily reminder:  Do not lick your Baofeng antenna connector.  PL-259/SO-239 is a bad idea as well, in case any of us were tempted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Baofeng/comments/btsul4/my_radio_uv5r_burnd_my_lip_and_electrocuted_it_3/

Best comment in that thread:

"So, you removed the antenna and attached a dummy load?"

Second best comment:

"Really? Have you forgotten that one of the questions for tech is about not using a gas generator inside? I guess we found the guy that question was for."

Ryan - KJ7GIE

"Should I be worried about the radiation going to my brain?"
No.. no.. you fine. You only have to worry about brain radiation if you stick the antenna up your nose. Don't stick your antenna up your nose.

I've always turned my HT off when changing antenna. Seemed silly because it takes longer for one of my HTs to boot then for me to change the ant but... I'm now really happy not to be this guy. Thanks for the link.

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

To be completely honest the reason I turn off power to change antennas on my HT is because I don't want to damage the radio. On mobile and HF it becomes more self-preservation, but a good habit to get into regardless.

Disconnecting hf antennas before working on them is a good idea, too. You don't want to get fried because your cat hit the PTT on your desktop mike while you were adjusting a cable. 😁

Sent from ProtonMail mobile