Star party Saturday. Where? When?

Forrest Erickson

The Clear Sky Chart is mostly Oak for viewing Saturday night.
Any requests for locations and times.

I understand that Unicoi Crest is a long way for many. The Knoxville Observers are observing from Noris. That location may have better northern skies than Unicoi. But Unicoi's view of southern Milky Way can be great.

Astronomical twilight was just before 10:00 PM last week and must be about the same this.

Takers?

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.

Where is Unicoi? I might be up for that.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022, 7:15 PM Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:
The Clear Sky Chart is mostly Oak for viewing Saturday night.
Any requests for locations and times.

I understand that Unicoi Crest is a long way for many. The Knoxville Observers are observing from Noris. That location may have better northern skies than Unicoi. But Unicoi's view of southern Milky Way can be great.

Astronomical twilight was just before 10:00 PM last week and must be about the same this.

Takers?

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.

Forrest Erickson

Tim,

It (Unicoi Crest) is in North Carolina on the Cherohala Skyway.  The first overlook into North Carolina.

From Knoxville people often drive 40 west to I75 south and exit at Sweetwater. Drive into and through Madisonville to Tellico Plains. There you find and get on the Cherohalla Skyway and drive something like another 15 to 20 miles till you cross into North Carolina. Do not do it in the dark. From my home in Maryville it is 62 miles and I plan on about a two hour drive time for me.

We could meet up at some place in Maryville. The Wendy's might work. It is at:
Wendy's 1771 W. Broadway in Maryville, TN
We would want meet about 7:00 PM and depart 7:15 to 7:30 or so.

My phone number is 865-518-1040

I will be at the Blount County Public Library staring at about 9:15 till about Noon (often later) this morning too.

Please advise

On 07/22/2022 10:44 PM Tim Yates <timyates195923@...> wrote:

Where is Unicoi? I might be up for that.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022, 7:15 PM Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:
The Clear Sky Chart is mostly Oak for viewing Saturday night.
Any requests for locations and times.

I understand that Unicoi Crest is a long way for many. The Knoxville Observers are observing from Noris. That location may have better northern skies than Unicoi. But Unicoi's view of southern Milky Way can be great.

Astronomical twilight was just before 10:00 PM last week and must be about the same this.

Takers?

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.

James Cantu

If you are settled on a plan I can post to FB and groups.io
Please confirm and I’ll post.
Thanks,
James

On Jul 23, 2022, at 8:05 AM, Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:

Tim,

It (Unicoi Crest) is in North Carolina on the Cherohala Skyway.  The first overlook into North Carolina.

From Knoxville people often drive 40 west to I75 south and exit at Sweetwater. Drive into and through Madisonville to Tellico Plains. There you find and get on the Cherohalla Skyway and drive something like another 15 to 20 miles till you cross into North Carolina. Do not do it in the dark. From my home in Maryville it is 62 miles and I plan on about a two hour drive time for me.

[...]

I will commit to going. Please post.

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.

If you are settled on a plan I can post to FB and groups.io
Please confirm and I’ll post.
Thanks,
James

On Jul 23, 2022, at 8:05 AM, Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:

Tim,

It (Unicoi Crest) is in North Carolina on the Cherohala Skyway.  The first overlook into North Carolina.

From Knoxville people often drive 40 west to I75 south and exit at Sweetwater. Drive into and through Madisonville to Tellico Plains. There you find and get on the Cherohalla Skyway and drive something like another 15 to 20 miles till you cross into North Carolina. Do not do it in the dark. From my home in Maryville it is 62 miles and I plan on about a two hour drive time for me.

[...]

Unfortunately due to other plans made by my spouse I will not be able to make it tonight, sorry. Wish I could

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 1:18 PM Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:
I will commit to going. Please post.

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.

If you are settled on a plan I can post to FB and groups.io
Please confirm and I’ll post.
Thanks,
James

On Jul 23, 2022, at 8:05 AM, Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:

Tim,

It (Unicoi Crest) is in North Carolina on the Cherohala Skyway.  The first overlook into North Carolina.

From Knoxville people often drive 40 west to I75 south and exit at Sweetwater. Drive into and through Madisonville to Tellico Plains. There you find and get on the Cherohalla Skyway and drive something like another 15 to 20 miles till you cross into North Carolina. Do not do it in the dark. From my home in Maryville it is 62 miles and I plan on about a two hour drive time for me.

[...]

Sky has deteriorated.  I think poor for chances of viewing.

I will head up to Wendy's regardless.

Very low chance I will make the drive.

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.

If you are settled on a plan I can post to FB and groups.io
Please confirm and I’ll post.
Thanks,
James

On Jul 23, 2022, at 8:05 AM, Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:

Tim,

It (Unicoi Crest) is in North Carolina on the Cherohala Skyway.  The first overlook into North Carolina.

From Knoxville people often drive 40 west to I75 south and exit at Sweetwater. Drive into and through Madisonville to Tellico Plains. There you find and get on the Cherohalla Skyway and drive something like another 15 to 20 miles till you cross into North Carolina. Do not do it in the dark. From my home in Maryville it is 62 miles and I plan on about a two hour drive time for me.

[...]

And the dine in at Wendy's is closed.

Heavy clouds with rain to north over Knoxville.
Towering cumulus south and over Smokies to east.

ABORT ABORT ABORT.

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.