SMAS July Update

James Cantu

Greetings all,

I'd like to provide some updates on SMAS activities and plans.

Solar Viewing
Lee is hosting some solar viewing at the Blount County Public Library tomorrow (weather permitting) https://www.facebook.com/events/554903919459939

Potential Star Parties: These will be added to Group.io and Facebook calendars
Third Quarter (actual July20): Saturday 23rd
New Moon (actual July 28th) Saturday 30th

July Meeting: In lieu of a meeting we are proposing a summer picnic. We can invite the other clubs. I'll be in Arizona next weekend, but I'd be happy to aim for the weekend of the 16th or 23rd. We can do one of two things. Go somewhere appropriate to have a star party following (although it will be dark late) or simply meet up, perhaps at a Knoxville Park.
Who is interested and what are your preferences or thoughts?

August we intend to return to Pellissippi for a meeting, and Mike Tenbus may have a presentation ready for us on some astronomical calculations.

Other interesting things. The National Park has agreed to a Fall Star Party and is open to a Spring one if we are as well.
From all of the challenges and experiences of the past we have learned:
  • a primary and a backup are preferred.
  • We want it to be dark enough so that the public does not have to wait too long
  • We prefer a first quarter moon. The public usually will have the moon with lots of shadowed features, Saturn and Jupiter, some globulars, etc.
The preferences and circumstances this year
  • We provided the three near-first quarter Saturdays as options. Sept3, Oct 1, Nov 5
  • Sept 3 is Labor Day weekend
  • Oct 1: there is an art event in the park that they do not want to interfere with
  • Nov 5th is their current preference.
  • Ranger law enforcement is in short supply this year. It could pose challenges if none are available for the event itself.
Last, I am working on recruiting academic (professors or their graduate students) guest speakers for the Fall. I have a few feelers out, so we'll see. If you have experience with any outside speakers please let me know.

That is the news at this point. I hope everyone has a great 4th weekend!

James Cantu
SMAS President 2022

Forrest Erickson

Thanks.
Had quite a few clouds today but many persons viewed and sketched sunspots.

Forrest Lee Erickson
Cell: 865-518-1040
Sent from cell.