Potential Daytime Outreach event for Girl Scout Day Camp

James Cantu

We have received a request for a daytime Outreach event for Girl Scout Day Camp. 
During the week of June 20th Blount County will host girl scouts in Alcoa for a day camp. Between 10a-12p one hour sessions will be reserved for special presentations. If we were to participate we could offer a short presentation followed by some daytime viewing of the moon or sunspots. If weather cooperates both would be ideal on the 20th. 

The trick is they will have 60-65 girls participating and it's a Monday. If a viewing activity were to occur we would want to have some scopes and operators available. At a minimum we would need three, but four may be better. I would be willing to take the morning off to participate, but I cannot that week. 

Do we have any interested and available participants? I would be willing to offer my Coronado PST H-alpha scope for the event. 
We would need to decide pretty soon, so please reply quickly if you are interested and available. I think this is a worthy event, and I hope we can get enough interest. 

Many thanks, 
James 

I would love to, but I have a dentist appointment in Sevierville that day.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022, 7:01 PM James Cantu <james.cantu@...> wrote:
We have received a request for a daytime Outreach event for Girl Scout Day Camp. 
During the week of June 20th Blount County will host girl scouts in Alcoa for a day camp. Between 10a-12p one hour sessions will be reserved for special presentations. If we were to participate we could offer a short presentation followed by some daytime viewing of the moon or sunspots. If weather cooperates both would be ideal on the 20th. 

The trick is they will have 60-65 girls participating and it's a Monday. If a viewing activity were to occur we would want to have some scopes and operators available. At a minimum we would need three, but four may be better. I would be willing to take the morning off to participate, but I cannot that week. 

Do we have any interested and available participants? I would be willing to offer my Coronado PST H-alpha scope for the event. 
We would need to decide pretty soon, so please reply quickly if you are interested and available. I think this is a worthy event, and I hope we can get enough interest. 

Many thanks, 
James 

Ayaka Y. Komata

I’m also not available on the week of 6/20. I have a club telescope at home; Celestron 6-inch SCT. If any member would like to use it in this outreach event, I’d be happy to meet you somewhere in Knoxville to hand over the telescope.

Ayaka Komata 

On Jun 12, 2022, at 19:18, Tim Yates <timyates195923@...> wrote:

I would love to, but I have a dentist appointment in Sevierville that day.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022, 7:01 PM James Cantu <james.cantu@...> wrote:

Many thanks, 
James 

Forrest Erickson

I have posted on the Knoxville Observers page where the woman was aksing the question that I am game for Monday morning and asked for an EXACT address. Will check to see if she has responded.

Forrest Erickson

Now she wants Wednesday.
Exact address is 1537 Daulton St. Alcoa TN 37701
I have sent her a PM with my phone number and email suggesting she needs to call and not work asynchronously on Facebook 
Paul Luis has expressed interest but only in the form of asking questions.

It may only be me so far expressing interest.

On 06/18/2022 6:53 PM Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:

I have posted on the Knoxville Observers page where the woman was aksing the question that I am game for Monday morning and asked for an EXACT address. Will check to see if she has responded.

Patrick, Edward L.

The problem these days is that too many people – who know better – have now plugged their cerebral cortex directly into their GPS and have abandoned everything they ever knew about a map, compass, and orienteering.

Best regards,

Ed

--

Logo

Description automatically generated

Edward L. Patrick

Lead Scientist

Space Science & Engineering Division

Southwest Research Institute

epatrick@...

swri.org

Icon

Description automatically generatedIcon

Description automatically generatedIcon

Description automatically generated

NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is intended for the recipient only and may contain proprietary and/or sensitive information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately, and please delete it. Do not copy or disclose the email to any other person or use it for any purpose. Southwest Research Institute reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its networks.

From: smokymtnastro@groups.io <smokymtnastro@groups.io> On Behalf Of Forrest Erickson
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:07 PM
To: smokymtnastro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [smokymtnastro] Potential Daytime Outreach event for Girl Scout Day Camp

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Now she wants Wednesday.

Exact address is 1537 Daulton St. Alcoa TN 37701

I have sent her a PM with my phone number and email suggesting she needs to call and not work asynchronously on Facebook 

Paul Luis has expressed interest but only in the form of asking questions.

It may only be me so far expressing interest.

On 06/18/2022 6:53 PM Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote: