Observing Meteors

Duane Dunlap

Last night I went meteor hunting as it was supposed to be prime time for the Perseids. I went out at 11:30 pm and the clouds quickly covered the sky. I set the alarm and came back at 2:30 am and happily the sky was clear. I watched from 2:30 am to 4:00am and saw only 5 meteors. However, I couldn’t have been happier as meteor #4 was a very bright, long duration flier. Absolutely beautiful! Also, Saturn and especially Jupiter were at their brightness and beautiful. I felt that I had snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. I may try it again tonight.  Duane

On Aug 13, 2021, at 12:00 AM, smokymtnastro@groups.io Calendar <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

Reminder: Weather Permitting: Recommended Viewing Weekend (near new moon)

When:
08/14/2021 through
08/15/2021

View Event

As of the beginning of 2021, SMAS is not yet creating formal events for dark sky observation outings; however, we are noting suitable viewing weekends before and after each month's new moon.
If safe to do so, members are encouraged to consider these weekends for deep sky viewing as moon interference will be minimal. If you do something interesting take note, take a photo, log it somehow even with just and anecdote.
We hope that members will be encouraged to have something to share during our monthly meetings, here on groups.io or through social media.

Weather and potential viewing conditions

(an automated reminder is set for these events T-one day and at the arrival of the date of the event)

Best regards and clear skies,
James Cantu

<mime-attachment.ics>
<invite.ics>

Ayaka Y. Komata

This morning, I went outside and spotted 2 meteors between 0415 and 0445. One was as bright as Vega. Sky was clear.

Ayaka Komata

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 11:41 AM Duane Dunlap <lddunlap41@...> wrote:
[...]

lindblom46

I saw one about 3:30 when I took the dog out. Not out for long.  Earlier in the evening I spotted RS Ophiuchus. It wasn't as bright as I expected at mag 4.5-5, but at least I saw it naked eye.

Bruce Ahler

Her in Maine, I saw 3 meteors between 9:30 and 11:00 pm.  Then too cloudy. May look again tonight if clear.

Bruce  Ahler

Sent from my not so smart iPhone