Now: Weather Permitting: Recommended Viewing Weekend (near new moon) - 08/14/2021 #cal-notice

smokymtnastro@groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>

Weather Permitting: Recommended Viewing Weekend (near new moon)

When:
08/14/2021 through
08/15/2021

View Event

As of the beginning of 2021, SMAS is not yet creating formal events for dark sky observation outings; however, we are noting suitable viewing weekends before and after each month's new moon.
If safe to do so, members are encouraged to consider these weekends for deep sky viewing as moon interference will be minimal. If you do something interesting take note, take a photo, log it somehow even with just and anecdote.
We hope that members will be encouraged to have something to share during our monthly meetings, here on groups.io or through social media.

Weather and potential viewing conditions

(an automated reminder is set for these events T-one day and at the arrival of the date of the event)

Best regards and clear skies,
James Cantu

Forrest Erickson

If it stays clear tonight here is the Virtual Moon Atlas representation to get some land marks identified.
Note this view is flipped left to right and top to bottom.

Although I have never tried to find it, the Apollo 17 landing site is on the eastern edge of Mare Serenitatis. Here, just to keep things CONFUSING I have retuned the view wo that east is to the right and north up as per the moon.

A photograph from the surface of what I assume is the Littrow valley.

And of course there will still be perseid meteors to see.

Clear skies.

Lee