Nova in Ophiuchus, RS

Forrest Erickson

Saw first on Facebook  with this comment
RS Oph just went nova! It is already visible to the naked eye under dark skies (apparent magnitude 4.5).

If you are an astronomer of any sort, the AAVSO wants your observations - and let us know as well!

Coordinates: RA/DEC 17h51m22.07s / -6 deg 42' 49.4".

Go get those images, and you too can feel like Tycho Brahe!

and found this:

Here is an AAVSO chart from the FaceBook

Now I am wondering how to learn to do photometry with my Canon T3 by dark tonight!
And I would have to shot through my 500mm scope so that I could use its setting circles to get this field of view.

Lee

On 08/07/2021 12:00 AM smokymtnastro@groups.io Calendar <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

Weather Permitting: Recommended Viewing Weekend (near new moon)

When:
08/07/2021 through
08/08/2021

View Event

As of the beginning of 2021, SMAS is not yet creating formal events for dark sky observation outings; however, we are noting suitable viewing weekends before and after each month's new moon.
If safe to do so, members are encouraged to consider these weekends for deep sky viewing as moon interference will be minimal. If you do something interesting take note, take a photo, log it somehow even with just and anecdote.
We hope that members will be encouraged to have something to share during our monthly meetings, here on groups.io or through social media.

Weather and potential viewing conditions

(an automated reminder is set for these events T-one day and at the arrival of the date of the event)

Best regards and clear skies,
James Cantu

Bruce Ahler

Thanks, will try to see this!

Sent from my not so smart iPhone

On Aug 9, 2021, at 7:43 PM, Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:

[...]

I kept going out early last night to mostly to somewhat scattered clouds and finally had to get sleep.
So I did not get photographs.

Will be watching again for tonight.

Time will tell.

Lee