Interstellar Wanderers...

Patrick, Edward L.

I don’t know whether there are any asteroiders or comet hunters among you, and this is not exactly in the observational astronomy category, but a former colleague of mine is co-author on a recent paper describing the use of the C/O ratio (from CO, CO2 & H2O) from comets as a means of determining where they formed relative to the CO “frost line” in their parent system. Yes, this is related to the “implied” discoveries of those first putative interstellar interlopers 1I/’Oumuamu and 2I/Borisov, the latter of which provided spectroscopic keys to the distance from its parent star at which it formed…

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/PSJ/ac75b5

The site is open access, so anyone can download the pdf for free. I’ll be adding this to the thousand papers, or so, on my nightstand set aside for my retirement reading.

They mention HST, ALMA, and JWST in the paper. I suspect this work and the discovery of Borisov will lead to increased research into the study of spectroscopic compositions of protoplanetary disks, particularly now that JWST has been commissioned, as well as studies of the 3-body orbital mechanics of how star systems eject comets out into the depths of space.

I also suspect that there will be an increase in the number of observations made by both automated telescopes and amateur astronomers as each seeks to find the next hyperbolic intruder from the depths of interstellar space.

Maybe we start looking for bodies coming at us from far out of the plane of the ecliptic. That might be a good start!

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I have no problem going out on a limb and predicting that the C/O ratio for R CrB is way off the charts.

Have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Ed

--

Logo

Description automatically generated

Edward L. Patrick

Lead Scientist

Space Science & Engineering Division

Southwest Research Institute

epatrick@...

swri.org

Icon

Description automatically generatedIcon

Description automatically generatedIcon

Description automatically generated

NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is intended for the recipient only and may contain proprietary and/or sensitive information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately, and please delete it. Do not copy or disclose the email to any other person or use it for any purpose. Southwest Research Institute reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its networks.