Event: SMAS Monthly Meeting - 06/10/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>

Reminder: SMAS Monthly Meeting

When:
06/10/2022
7:30pm to 9:00pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Pellissippi State Community College, Alexander Rm. 223 (Pellissippi State Community College 10915 Hardin Valley Road P.O. Box 22990 Knoxville, TN 37933-0990)

Organizer: James Cantu

View Event

About SMAS Meetings

SMAS meets every second Friday January-November unless a special event interferes. In general, December is reserved for a Holiday Gathering where all local clubs are invited to dine and meetup. Meetings are relatively informal, however we usually establish an agenda of presentations and discussion topics.
Meeting are currently virtual via Zoom.
Meetings consist of short presentations by members or invited guests. Member are encouraged to propose a topic at least 1-2 weeks prior to the meeting. Please send proposals to the current Vice President. All topics are available: from technical reports, introductory topics, astrophotography, history, book/resource reviews, gear/tool reviews, how-to's, community engagement, etc.
We encourage diverse topics over a range of ability levels. We hope that each meeting includes something easier and something more intermediate-advanced per meeting.
Guests are welcome, but virtual meeting links will not be posted publicly. These may only be shared via groups.io or from a member of the executive committee.

"Doors" open at 7p; Meeting runs 7:30p-9:00p.

Agenda

  • Item 1
  • Item 2

Mike Tenbus

A friend sent me the following email, which I thought would be of interest to club members.

Grab your binoculars and set your alarm.

For the first time in 18 years, five planets — Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn — will be sequentially aligned and visible at dawn throughout this month.

Those watching from the continental United States should be able to catch a look, as long as they're up early enough, Diana Hannikainen, Sky & Telescope's Observing Editor, told NPR.

The five-planet alignment isn't "incredibly rare," Hannikainen said. These planets were last lined up in sequential order in 2004, and it's set to happen again in 2040.

"But it's rare enough that if we get the opportunity to step outside in the morning and check it out, it's worth it," Hannikainen said.

As June drives on, Mercury will become easier to see, she said. On June 24, the view is expected to be particularly special. That day, viewers should also be able to see the waning crescent moon between Venus and Mars.

[...]

Nice.
A photo opportunity.
I saw the 2004 alignment from Nashville were I was departing one evening back to Maryville and it was surprisingly gratifying.