Event: Introduction to telescop types - Thursday, July 7, 2022 #cal-invite

Group Notification <noreply@...>

Introduction to telescop types

When:
Thursday, July 7, 2022
6:00pm to 7:00pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Blount County Library

Organizer: Lee Erickson/James Cantu

View Event

If you have the cloudy night blues, come hang out with us at the Blount County Library 6p July 7th.
We'll help provide a short presentation on telescope types.
This an excellent opportunity for some air conditioned show and tell, all types of scopes welcome!

Maybe you are new and haven't seen many types in person. Come join as a spectator.

Please let us know if you want to join us!

James Cantu

I'll bring my 10" dob, my H-Alpha solar scope, and if I'm feeling strong my apochromatic. And some binos.

Lee any interest in bringing Sasquatch? Could be interesting. "Get your photo with Sasquatch"? If not this time, maybe another when we can hype it up a bit more.
JMC

Thursday, July 7, 2022
6:00pm to 7:00pm

--
James M. Cantu

Forrest Erickson

I admit I had not thought of the attraction that Sasquatch might bring.  I will need help loading it.

Thursday, July 7, 2022
6:00pm to 7:00pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Blount County Library

Organizer: Lee Erickson/James Cantu

View Event

If you have the cloudy night blues, come hang out with us at the Blount County Library 6p July 7th.
We'll help provide a short presentation on telescope types.
This an excellent opportunity for some air conditioned show and tell, all types of scopes welcome!

Maybe you are new and haven't seen many types in person. Come join as a spectator.

Please let us know if you want to join us!

--
James M. Cantu

Dave Wells

I'm looking forward to attending, and my wife is even interested in coming! I've not done a whole lot with the SMAS since joining (thanks COVID) but I'm interested in learning more!

Thursday, July 7, 2022
6:00pm to 7:00pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Blount County Library

Organizer: Lee Erickson/James Cantu

View Event

If you have the cloudy night blues, come hang out with us at the Blount County Library 6p July 7th.
We'll help provide a short presentation on telescope types.
This an excellent opportunity for some air conditioned show and tell, all types of scopes welcome!

Maybe you are new and haven't seen many types in person. Come join as a spectator.

Please let us know if you want to join us!

--
James M. Cantu

James Cantu

Lee, I was not certain this time would be best, especially as there has not been time to hype this up. Given the weather Sasquatch may not be a great idea unless dry conditions are guaranteed. We are going to be overcast nonetheless, but an indoor display of Sasquatch could be impactful.

That said, I cannot help load Sasquatch today, and my attendance in general is in question at the moment as we have a sick pup and we are squeezing in a late afternoon vet visit to get him checked up. At best I don't think I could arrive until 6p, but that is pending vet visit outcomes. Lee, feel free to call/text me 865-405-2492.

Are there any others who plan to attend? If you have not done this before, it's a simple presentation on the types of scopes we can use via PowerPoint and we display some telescopes for people to see indoors. Others with a scope or binoculars of all sizes and shapes are welcome. This is not to display superlative gear, but the breadth of gear.

Thursday, July 7, 2022
6:00pm to 7:00pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Blount County Library

Organizer: Lee Erickson/James Cantu

View Event

If you have the cloudy night blues, come hang out with us at the Blount County Library 6p July 7th.
We'll help provide a short presentation on telescope types.
This an excellent opportunity for some air conditioned show and tell, all types of scopes welcome!

Maybe you are new and haven't seen many types in person. Come join as a spectator.

Please let us know if you want to join us!

--
James M. Cantu

--
James M. Cantu

Forrest Erickson

Yup. Weather says not to bring Sasquatch.

Thursday, July 7, 2022
6:00pm to 7:00pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Blount County Library

Organizer: Lee Erickson/James Cantu

View Event

If you have the cloudy night blues, come hang out with us at the Blount County Library 6p July 7th.
We'll help provide a short presentation on telescope types.
This an excellent opportunity for some air conditioned show and tell, all types of scopes welcome!

Maybe you are new and haven't seen many types in person. Come join as a spectator.

Please let us know if you want to join us!

--
James M. Cantu

--
James M. Cantu

Forrest Erickson

Blount County Public Library Observing Report of 20220707.
We had a good turn out of young people of all ages.
Not too many and not too few.

I brought my Orion XT10 with solar filter and my Mead 60mm Saturn DO NOT BUY telescope. We went though the Introduction to telescopes power point and I had the youngsters repeat the safety rules and learn vocabulary about telescope parts.
Again I was gratified that the youngsters recognized Jupiter by the cloud bands.
Although the forecast called for rain to start at 6:00 we are still clear by the time I was done with power point so we transported the telescope out to the parking lot and observed the first quarter moon. After everyone had a look I drug out the big poster about Apollo 15 at Mt. Hadley and many of the observes saw Mt. Hadley.
An approaching storm chased us back in and then we reviewed the power point on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo and focusing on the landing at Mt. Hadley and the drive to the rill.

During the Q and A after we had a thunder boom and power was briefly out to which someone called out, "Houston we have a problem."
I could not have asked for a better evening.
One youngster said they had a telescope and lunar map at home and wondered where to start. I suggested learning to name the mare and we reviewed with a map I had. I again explained how Galileo was not the first to build a telescope but he built a telescope. I explained Galileo may not have been the first to build a telescope and point it at the sky, but that Galileo is the first to built a telescope, point it at the sky and then WRITE ABOUT WHAT HE SAW. and that he named the mare on the moon.

Many youngsters took home the sketching and Zodiac flier and I told them of my  Saturday morning efforts to be showing sunspots weather permitting.

As I say, I could not have asked for a better evening.

Lee Erickson

Jae Park

That's a very good event.  I should've joined and learnt.

Jae

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 4:36 PM Forrest Erickson <forresterickson@...> wrote:
[...]

David Fields

Kudos to Lee for a very good show and stimulate!  I think that most attendees will remember that evening.

David Fields