Bill Burgess

James Cantu

This was shared via ORION. Bill Burgess of Burgess Optical passed away last Thursday, May 26th.
I don't know if any of you knew him. I met him once many years ago, but recall he was quite passionate.
Obituary follows here: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/knoxville-tn/william-burgess-10767822

dedicatedastronomer

Bill was very active in SMAS when I joined in 2000.  I was the SMAS Newsletter Editor and he wrote some articles for the newsletter.  He had a landscaping business then and was developing Burgess Optical using the landscaping business’ office which was a house built by his grandfather.  He made many trips to China to acquire optics.  Bill and I and other members of SMAS were building 6” Dobsonian telescopes to give to local children to promote amateur astronomy.  Bill donated all the materials for the telescopes.  As Burgess Optical grew, Bill became less active in SMAS probably because all the travel he did promoting his business.  He really had a nice touch in getting the best performance in telescope optics and mounts.

I last saw Bill at the holiday dinner for SMAS, KO and Orion at a local restaurant in 2015.  I moved from the area in October 2016.

I will miss him.

Mike

Michael Littleton, CHP

8129 Hollygrape Lane

Colorado Springs, CO 80927

This was shared via ORION. Bill Burgess of Burgess Optical passed away last Thursday, May 26th.
I don't know if any of you knew him. I met him once many years ago, but recall he was quite passionate.
Obituary follows here: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/knoxville-tn/william-burgess-10767822

Forrest Erickson

I left a memory there.
I will go out of my way to use an eye piece I purchased from him soon.