Now: Call for proposals - 04/22/2022 #cal-notice

James Cantu

Lee I hereby appoint you to host a discussion on mnemonics for astronomical facts. I assume this will be a very short discussion.

Here is my suggestions/request for other presentations.
  • brief recap of the solar event
  • We are entering galaxy season. Would anyone like to present on such. Suggested subtopics. Types of galaxies. How to view. How to understand Surface brightness when trying to observe. Other galaxy facts.
  • any equipment or technology report. Old or new what have you used? Tell us about it.
  • Book/article reviews?
  • Current solar activity?

Please speak up soon. We are one week out. We are meeting in person. Let's make it good.

Best regards,
James

Forrest Erickson

Ram Bull Twins Crab Liverish, Scaily Scorpions Are Good Water Fish.
I have benefited greatly from this mnemonic because visitors at star parties would ask about their zodiacal signs and I could be knowledgeable but more importantly I know the whole sky around the ecliptic in order too.

Challenge for you all.
Develop a mnemonic for the distance to the planets in AU, (Astronomical Units ) and in order including Pluto.  I think we should also include the asteroid belt too.

Here is a reference for distance to planets but not for the asteroids.
FYI, Ceres is 2.8 AU

Lee

On 04/22/2022 12:00 AM smokymtnastro@groups.io Calendar <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

Call for proposals

When:
04/22/2022

View Event

The next SMAS meeting is in two weeks! If you have a proposed topic, please share it to the group via replying to this message, emailing the group  smokymtnastro@groups.io or the current Vice President.

This is a calendar-based announcement with automated reminder emails. Only one email will be sent.
Please remember that a proposed topic could be as simple as a brief 10-15 minute or longer 45 minute topic. We encourage a mixture of beginner to intermediate/advanced topics.

Best regards and clear skies,
SMAS Executive Council