SMAS May Meeting - Fri, 05/08/2020 #cal-notice

smokymtnastro@groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>

SMAS May Meeting

When:
Friday, 8 May 2020
7:30pm to 9:00pm
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Zoom

Organizer:
james.cantu@...

Greetings all SMAS members,
I know this is a bit late, but I've been trying to piece together something to do for an online meeting and have not had all of the success I would like.
Here is what I propose for tomorrow night. First, let's keep the Zoom party going and try to meet that way. Second, traditionally this is the last meeting until August. My understanding is that this was because some might travel to star parties, but I have never really heard of that interfering in recent years. If I were going to the--now cancelled-- Texas Star Party, I'd be leaving next Friday.

First, we got to see some face we haven't seen in some time. It was nice to simply catch up and tell some goings on.
I have taken to heart some of the requests on topics both challenging and introductory and have been working on some ideas to have more diverse offerings.
During the brainstorming session below I'll share a meeting scheme to see what you think.

So let's meet tomorrow.
7:00 "doors" open. The meeting starts at 7:30, but I'll have it ready at 7pm.
7:30p Checkin and tell us what you are up to. Anyone start an observing program, image anything? watch the Lyrids, the eta Aquarids? Read/listen/or watch anything good? BTW I did enjoy the "What's up with Don" shared by James Paciello.
7:45p Some Brief Business (Membership/Dues, and Considerations for our Insurance payment)

We were looking to get one of the ATLAS comet program scientists to speak with us, but this will probably be a later meeting.
8:00p Brainstorm some activities, both socially distant and future thinking. Like do we want to meet June and July? I don't want to pigeon-hole us into one domain.
We can talk about anything such as:

  • Outreach/PR/member recruitment/attraction
  • Poll ourselves: What is it we spend our Astro time on?
  • Imaging
  • Sketching
  • Observing (informal - formal programs)
  • Technical talks (astronomy, astrophysics, planetary/solar/lunar talks, radioastronomy)
  • Ancillary subject talks: I've seen some excellent talks on everything from history, art, sounds of the nightlife, etc.
  • Gear talks
  • How to's
  • Guided Introductory Program series for new members or the public
  • Social Events
  • Book (or other media) reviews
Well you get the idea.
8:30p What in your astro kit Round-table?
(or rather what're your go-to tools to do what you do? Software, books etc.) Let's simply share something you use that's indispensable to you. You don't need to share your whole gear history. Just think about something you like that works for you. Could be gear, a method of doing something etc.

So those are my thoughts for tomorrow night. I hope to see you there.

See Zoom invite below
James Cantu is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://tennessee.zoom.us/j/96824039142
    Password: 011028

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +13017158592,96824039142# or +13126266799,96824039142#

Or Telephone:
    Dial:
    +1 301 715 8592 (US Toll)
    +1 312 626 6799 (US Toll)
    +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)
    +1 253 215 8782 (US Toll)
    +1 346 248 7799 (US Toll)
    +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
    Meeting ID: 968 2403 9142
    International numbers available: https://tennessee.zoom.us/u/aeoDY1neFK

Or an H.323/SIP room system:
    H.323: 162.255.37.11 (US West) or 162.255.36.11 (US East)
    Meeting ID: 968 2403 9142
    Password: 011028

    SIP: 96824039142@...
    Password: 011028

Ayaka Y. Komata

I have an outage in my area since 19:20 and cannot make it.
Ayaka Komata