From: "Collins-Elliott, Stephen" <sce@...>
To: "Collins-Elliott, Stephen" <sce@...>
Date: 04/25/2022 10:46 AM
Subject: AIA/ETS Lecture Tomorrow 4/26, 6pm: J.T. Barnes, "Written in the Stars: Practical Astronomy in Ancient Greece"

Dear Friends and Members of the East Tennessee Society of the Archaeological Institute of America,

A reminder that our final event for this year is coming up tomorrow evening, Tuesday, April 26, at 6:00 pm in the McClung Museum Auditorium on UTK's campus. Our lecture will be given by our own society president, Dr. J. Tristan Barnes, on ancient Greek astronomy. I hope to see you there!

Written in the Stars: Practical Astronomy in Ancient Greece
Dr. J. Tristan Barnes (UTK Department of Classics)
Tuesday, April 26, 6:00 pm
McClung Museum Auditorium

Illustrated public lecture, free and open to the public.

ETS members are invited to dine with the speaker following the event. See flyer attached!

This event can also be attended via online webinar. Register at https://tiny.utk.edu/aiaets.

Lecture Description

For the ancient Greeks, the night sky was a much more visible and dynamic visual force than many of us today are used to.  Without industrialized, artificial light, stars and constellations did more than serve as simple reminders of mythological stories--they were practical aids and guides for daily life.  Ancient Greeks used the risings and settings of different stars and constellations as navigational references, markers for agricultural work, guides for the timing of religious events, and even as a means to interpret divine will and explain human behavior.  This talk will examine different practical applications of the stars and constellations to understand how ordinary people might have understood the night sky.

Best wishes,
Stephen Collins-Elliott

Stephen A. Collins-Elliott, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Classics
1113 McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413

Phone: (865) 974-8910
Fax: (865) 974-7173
Email: sce@...
http://volweb.utk.edu/~scolli46/

Secretary-Treasurer, AIA East Tennessee Society

Join smokymtnastro@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.