Zone-tail Hawk MB Marina State Park

Kaaren Perry

At 4:45 this afternoon I had the Zone-tailed Hawk, reported this morning by Tom Edell, fly over head,  just above the trees near the entrance to the SP campground.  It was moving with many Turkey Vultures as they came in to roost.  We were loosing light and it was not refound this evening.
I would suspect it is roosting in the nearby Eucalyptus trees with many Turkey Vultures for the night.  Look for a black hawk with a bright yellow cere and yellow legs and feet when perched. White tail bands visible from below and also  yellow bill and legs can be seen in flight.  Similar flight style to Turkey Vultures but smaller bird.  When found often within Turkey Vulture groups. Bring out your bird guides and take a look. It's a good bird for the county and state.

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay