Where are the hummers?


 

I am in SLO on Orcutt Rd. near Laurel. I have fresh nectar out but no hummers for at least a week? Any ideas?

 Susan C.
San Luis Obispo

--
Dreamzville.com (Home of Dreamzville Radio), San Luis Obispo.


Tamara Livermore
 

I am noticing the same thing at my house near LOVR and Madonna. 🤔 

Tami Livermore


The Simpsons Simpsons
 

We’ve noticed too. We usually have 6 to 8 at any given time, but as of last week, maybe one and none the past several days. Fresh feeders too. We’re in A.G. Close to Oak Park & Fair Oaks.

~PMS 📷  

On Feb 17, 2021, at 2:37 PM, Tamara Livermore <tamara.dances@...> wrote:


I am noticing the same thing at my house near LOVR and Madonna. 🤔 

Tami Livermore


Kaaren Perry
 

We are experiencing the same thing here at our home in Morro Bay.  A few weeks back they were buzzing all around, 5-6 at a time, emptying our feeders in a short order etc.  My thoughts are that our recent rain and wind storms may have either moved them on or they may have met with a fatal injury. Such strong winds and rains are pretty rough on such little birds.  I do believe that we will have hummers again before too long visiting our feeders. Anna's should soon be tending nests in our neighborhoods.

Nothing scientific, just my thoughts!

Kaaren






On Feb 17, 2021, at 12:04 PM, Susan Crawford <dreamzville@...> wrote:

I am in SLO on Orcutt Rd. near Laurel. I have fresh nectar out but no hummers for at least a week? Any ideas?

 Susan C.
San Luis Obispo

--
Dreamzville.com (Home of Dreamzville Radio), San Luis Obispo.


Claudia Freitas
 

We still have many up here on the hill.  Have to refill my four feeders every third day or so 
All Anna’s so far 
Claudia in west Atascadero at 1700’

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 5:21 PM Kaaren Perry <surfbird1@...> wrote:
We are experiencing the same thing here at our home in Morro Bay.  A few weeks back they were buzzing all around, 5-6 at a time, emptying our feeders in a short order etc.  My thoughts are that our recent rain and wind storms may have either moved them on or they may have met with a fatal injury. Such strong winds and rains are pretty rough on such little birds.  I do believe that we will have hummers again before too long visiting our feeders. Anna's should soon be tending nests in our neighborhoods.

Nothing scientific, just my thoughts!

Kaaren






On Feb 17, 2021, at 12:04 PM, Susan Crawford <dreamzville@...> wrote:

I am in SLO on Orcutt Rd. near Laurel. I have fresh nectar out but no hummers for at least a week? Any ideas?

 Susan C.
San Luis Obispo

--
Dreamzville.com (Home of Dreamzville Radio), San Luis Obispo.

--
Claudia Freitas


Judy Neuhauser
 

As beekeepers, we notice that the Blue Gum Eucalyptus has started to bloom in profusion - much better than the last 3-4 years. When there is adequate bloom, the trees will pump out nectar by the gallon every day. There is so much nectar in a single blossom, that you can tip a flower and have a measurable amount of nectar flow into your mouth! Is it possible that the Hummers are using a tree-based source of nectar when it is available?

For the last few years, even when the rains have been adequate, the Blue Gum Eucalyptus appear to have had such a severe infestation of Eucalyptus Beetle that the flower bud set was minimal. Hence few flowers. For some reason, this year has been different and those trees that are flowering are booming.

The native pollinator of Blue Gum Eucalyptus in Australia is a native parrot, not an insect. You might try looking at flowering Blue Gum Eucalyptus in your area and see if the hummers have moved "up” in the world, so to speak.


Judy Neuhauser
Los Osos, CA