Topics

Whale Rock Reservoir, 5 Aug

Tom Edell

This morning an eclipse male Ring-necked Duck was on the reservoir’s Old Creek arm. This is the first report of one there since a female was present on 22 Apr. A total of 31 Gadwall in female like plumage was a big increase and the second highest total ever based on eBird data. The all-time high eBird count at this reservoir is 32 birds seen there on 15 Sep 2018.

The number of American Coots has been steadily increasing since late Jun and today I counted a total of 112 from both arms. The number should continue to increase into October when the all-time high count here was 2200 birds on 6 Oct 2013.

I looked briefly for the Cackling Goose at Laguna Lake today without luck. It was last reported on 24 Jun. Anyone seen it since then?

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell