Western Tanager migration - Morro Bay

Kaaren Perry

There were at least 8 Western Tanagers moving around in two adjacent trees seen from our yard this morning at 7:15.  They foraged primarily in the tree tops, sometimes looping out into the air, before heading back under cover.  They were observed for about 10 minutes before moving on.  All ages and both sexes were observed. While this in no way compares with the phenomenal multiple species migration reports coming from other parts of the county by Brad, Kevin and Jeff it does reflect migration movement in this area.

After the flurry of actives at Del Mar yesterday, today was surprisingly quiet. Where there were upward of 15 Wilson's Warblers yesterday, today there was just one!  No Cedar Waxwings.  Two Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a single Swainson's Thrush were new to me at this location for this season.