Topics

Wandering Tattler

Lynne Breakstone

This is a life bird for us, seen 8-8 on Estero Bluffs, the main Fig tree path, slightly to the north on the coast. Also 20+ Black Turnstones, 3 Oystercatchers and something surprising: a Kingfisher perched on a rock over the ocean. It did its hovering routine 2 times over the water and then flew away; I’ve never seen a Kingfisher on a large body of salt water.
Lynne Breakstone
p.s. With dictation my iPad put down “rhinestone” for Turnstone.

Kaaren Perry

As we read posts of the Wandering Tattler I would like to report that they are also being seen rather reliably from the Lucerne Dr. overlook in north Cayucos.  The fact that this is just south of Estero Bluffs, where most of the reports have been, makes this location no surprise. As I looked down from the vista on Friday there were 4 at one time moving about at the shoreline, around the onshore rocks and roosting on a offshore rock.

Because they are such a special bird and some at this time of year still in barred breeding plumage I decided to do a little digging beyond my Nat'l Geo.Birds of North America field guide. The newly updated Cornell online site, Birds of the World,  has a very comprehensive study of this species.  Reading that their wintering range extends along the Pacific coast mainland from s. British Columbia south to Peru we are fortunate to have a small number visit our shores in winter.

This struck me as very interesting and I am attaching here:

To this day the Wandering Tattler remains one of North America's least known birds.

Maybe more so than any other shorebird, the Wandering Tattler possesses a suite of peculiar natural-history traits that has challenged ornithologists since the species was first described in the late eighteenth century.