Topics

Unusual Hooded Oriole behavior

Judy Neuhauser

I watched my jelly feeder this morning. A male Hooded Oriole flew into the Feijoa tree (also known as Pineapple guava), pulled white petals off the flowers, flew to the jelly feeder, dipped the white petals into the grape jelly twice, then flew off toward his (presumable nest) with white petals tipped in purple jelly. He's been doing this for the past few days. No photos ... yet.

Judy Neuhauser
Los Osos

Mike Bush

Hi Judy and All -

The white petals on pineapple guava or feijoa (now in the genus Acca) are very sugary and tasty! Wonderful 'raw' in a salad, actually. Recently I have observed European Starlings taking petals in Los Osos.

It doesn't surprise me that other birds might take these energy-rich petals, the odd thing to me is the Hooded Oriole learning to DIP them in your grape jelly offering! What a TREAT!

Acca sellowiana  Pineapple Guava
20140501_080117.jpg

Mike Bush
Los Osos, California

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:46 PM Judy Neuhauser <judyneu@...> wrote:
I watched my jelly feeder this morning. A male Hooded Oriole flew into the Feijoa tree (also known as Pineapple guava), pulled white petals off the flowers, flew to the jelly feeder, dipped the white petals into the grape jelly twice, then flew off toward his (presumable nest) with white petals tipped in purple jelly. He's been doing this for the past few days. No photos ... yet.

Judy Neuhauser
Los Osos

Laura Kass

My petals are devoured by Mockingbirds and Scrub jays every year.

On Jun 28, 2020, at 6:40 PM, Mike Bush <mbushii@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Ogren

Pineapple guava trees are great bird trees. I always grow them & love eating the guavas. For years I've seen orioles, mockingbirds, jays, and starlings eating their petals.
We don't have a native pollinator for these fruits and the birds, shaking the flower as they yank off the sweet petals...the birds pollinate the flowers and get them to set fruit.

Tom Ogren SLO