Swainson's Hawks - lots - Bitterwater Rd

Mike Bush

Hi SLOCO Birders -

Jeanne and I have camped at Twisselmann Ranch Pond hipcamp on Bitterwater Rd the past two nights.

This morning we saw 29 Swainson's Hawks perched on the ground between 4 and 6 miles north of Hwy 58, apparently feeding on crickets, as I saw many on the road and heard many more.

As we were preparing to leave, Jeanne spotted 25 Long-billed Curlews mixed with 50 Whimbrels that had just flown in. While counting the shorebirds, we began to see Swainson's Hawks in the air, and over the next 15 minutes saw five separate groups circling on both sides of Bitterwater Rd.

Overall we estimated we saw 200 hawks! While they're surely could have been other species mixed in, the only ones I could identify were Swainson's Hawks.

Fun times!

Mike Bush
Jeanne Miller

Los Osos