Solitary Sandpiper, Turri Road

Liam&Kilian Hampl

At around 7:15 a.m. this morning we headed out to the boardwalk trail in Morro Bay to see if we could see the Skimmers seen the past few days. We met up with Steve Tillmann and Jeff Miller, and the four of us could not turn up a Skimmer. But, we did end up getting some other good birds out there. There were around 12 Red Knot, 17 Brant out in the bay, some Caspian, Royal, and Forster’s Tern, a male Dunlin, a Red-breasted Merganser that flew by, a breeding male Horned Grebe, 1 Avocet, a few Black-bellied Plovers, one of which was breeding, some Semipalmated Plover, an immature Bald Eagle pretending to be a Vulture, a Merlin that got chased by 2 Peregrine’s, and Tree Swallows mobbing the Merlin and Peregrine’s. Then we all headed to Turri Road where we saw a male Green-winged Teal, a Rufous Hummingbird, a Western Kingbird, a Warbling Vireo, a Swainson’s Thrush, at least 40 Siskin, lots of Wilson’s Warbler, a Blue Grosbeak, and a Lazuli Bunting or two. After Jeff and Steve left, Kilian and I went back to check again the pond south of the windmill (north side of road) and saw a Solitary Sandpiper. We watched it for a few minutes before it flew northwest. Here are the checklists for today including pics of the Solitary Sandpiper.
Liam and Kilian Hampl,
Arroyo Grande