[sbcobirding] Lake trip

Joe Seals <gardenguru@...>

Before others start adding to the "strictly sbco or
sloco birds" in the listserves enforcement serial, let
me state that my intent was to offer a little humor to
the two groups. I certainly did not and do not wish
to rile the purists and I now promise this will never
happen again. I will found an "Odd Birding Trips"
listserve group and will send out invitations shortly.

Joe
utopiabirding@zgroups.com

--- Jim Greaves <greaves@mail.silcom.com> wrote:
Meaning no disrespect here, but when I mentioned
Stilt Sandpipers in
Ventura last week, someone quite bluntly said
(privately) I should use
Ventura County list. Might I suggest a German
birding list for these "odd"
sightings, or will this now become a
travelogue-list? :-)

At 6:36 AM -0800 1/31/00, Joe Seals wrote:
All:
I took a quick trip down to the lake last
Thursday and, even in the foggy, cloudy weather, I
had
some interesting sitings.
The usuals were there: lots of MALLARDS,
SCAUPS,
CORMORANTS, BLACKBIRDS, RING-NECKED DUCKS, and
BLACK-NECKED (EARED) GREBES. But there were plenty
of
TUFTED DUCKS, a few POCHARDS, and one winter female
LONG-TAILED DUCK among a small group of mallards.
Especially exciting was a LITTLE AUK (a lifer for
me)
near the breakwater to the marina.
Did I forget to say that this was a trip to
Lake
Constance (Die Bodansee) on the
German-Austrian-Swiss
border? Had you going for a moment, didn't I?
I was on a training visit to our German
partners
and was allowed one-afternoon "sight-seeing".
Other
lifers for me: MARSH TIT (at the bird feeders at
the
company) and a SHORT-TOED TREECREEPER (no, I didn't
make this up) on the tree as I stood waiting for
the
hotel shuttle bus back to the airport.
The LITTLE AUK was special in that they are
strictly ocean and coast birds that only rarely
"crash
land" on inland waters after storms.
Joe Seals
Santa Maria
http://im.yahoo.com

eGroups.com Home:
<http://www.egroups.com/group/sbcobirding>http://www.egroups.com/group/sbcobirdi
ng
<http://www.egroups.com>www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

You can save up to $200 on your auto insurance at
Esurance.
Personalize your auto insurance so that you only pay
for
what you need. Call 1-800-926-6012 or go to
http://click.egroups.com/1/993/5/_/16596/_/949374468/

-- Easily schedule meetings and events using the
group calendar!
--
http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=sbcobirding&m=1

http://im.yahoo.com