Reservoir Canyon today

Eric Wier

Laura Frank and I enjoyed a fine walk up Reservoir Canyon today, and there was a lot of bird activity. Spring growth is encroaching on the lower part of the trail, including poison-oak, but it’s avoidable with diligence.

The bird highlights were a male and female Hermit warbler, foraging together; a singing MacGillivray’s warbler; and a Sharp-shinned hawk circling overhead, quickly gaining altitude before disappearing to the north. This hawk had very quick bursts of wingbeats, a long square-tipped tail, and a “hunched-shouldered” appearance with the small head barely projecting beyond the leading edges of the wings. Unfortunately we were not able to get a photo.

Eric Wier
San Luis Obispo