Topics

Red Crossbill species - historical record.

Kaaren Perry

Today there was a little flurry of excitement on a local birding network regarding a reported single Red Crossbill in Los Osos.  ( finder unable to relocate)  The question was asked : what is the more expected type of Red Crossbill for this area.

Review of a previous record -  I had a group of Red Crossbills visit my home for a few days back in February 2013.  At the time I was able to get photos and more useful a recording of their calls and sent the recording off to Cornell where a researcher was doing a study of calls and related types of Red Crossbills.  The recording of birds from 2013 in Morro Bay were determined from chip sound to belong to the Type 3 - Western Hemlock Crossbills.