Posting bird nest locations--Caution

Kees Eglowski

Please, please remember as we move into nesting season to exercise caution and restraint when disclosing the nesting locations of birds, particularly rare birds. Remember that it is part of the ABA Code of Ethics to avoid stressing nesting birds or putting them in danger.

Remember that sometimes it is better not to report nesting birds, or wait to report them until after the season is over, or give inexact locations, especially if they are rare or on private property (or both). Remember that many homeowners are not going to be happy to have a dozen birders and photographers pointing cameras and binoculars at their house to try to get photos of a bird sitting on a nest. We shouldn't let our desire for a photo op trump the bird's safety and breeding behavior.

-Kees
Atascadero