Port San Luis Harlequin Ducks and Black Scoter, 4/2

Tom Edell

I did not find the Barrow’s Goldeneye at Pismo Creek Mouth this morning. Maybe it was in the surf which I superficially checked for the bird. A brief visit to Chumash Park in Pismo Beach tuned up a Yellow-billed Magpie. Though they occur inland of there this is the first I’ve seen this close to the coast in South County.

Later in the morning, I checked the Avila/Port San Luis area and found the continuing adult male and female Harlequin Ducks in the boat mornings off the Port San Luis Beach. A surprise was a female Black Scoter in the same area as one has not been reported here for a few months. Also mixed in with the Surf Scoters were four female plumaged White-winged Scoters. A scope is very helpful for finding these birds. Four Cackling Geese were seen in San Luis Obispo Creek from the Bob Jones Path Bridge over San Luis Obispo Creek.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell